Monday, February 17, 2020

Stories Work

Thinking about the power of religion that I'm seeing at work, I remembered this, one of my favorite episodes of Hidden Brain podcast:
"All the World's a Stage—Including the Doctor's Office"  

npr.org/2019/04/29/718227789/all-the-worlds-a-stage-including-the-doctor-s-office

It's about medical placebos, and fascinating studies that show placebos work a surprisingly high percentage of times, 
. . . even when the patient knows they're sugar pills.


Here's a Guardian article (2010) about the same thing:
"Placebo effect works even if patients know they're getting a sham drug").

And placebos are not all equal--an article in Psychology Today points out that, for instance, capsules are more effective than tablets.

That's how I understand what I'm seeing, how religion works to save people's lives--powerful medicine doesn't have to be "real" to be effective. 

Not so surprising, when I stop to think about it. Secular books and movies have changed my life too, after all.

Obviously this can be manipulated for ill as well as for good. Politics!

4 comments:

  1. I'm not surprised religion doesn't have to be "real" to be effective -- but I AM surprised that the subject doesn't have to BELIEVE that it's real. In other words, that they could be aware that it's a spiritual placebo and still feel that it does them some good.

    ReplyDelete
  2. STEVE: "Hidden Brain" doesn't touch on religion working like a placebo (as least not in this episode), but I know plenty of religious people who don't literally believe in God as a "real person" but believe in the psychological power of belonging to a spiritual community and maintaining spiritual practices (prayer as mediation, rituals such as lighting candles & incense, etc.).
    So that's an example.


    Remember there was an uproar about an Episcopal priest a few years ago who came out and said "You don't have to believe in God to belong to our religion"--implying (or outright saying?) that he didn't!

    ReplyDelete
  3. P.S. A quick google reveals that lots of Anglican priests say things like that!

    E.g., from The Independent, 2014"
    "The Rev David Paterson, a retired Church of England priest, said there was no conflict in preaching while being unable to believe in God.

    “Within my congregation I would take the line that how you feel about God is not in the least dependent on whether you think God exists or not. I preach using God’s terminology, but never with the suggestion that God actually exists,” he told University Times, Trinity College Dublin’s newspaper.

    “Once you have accepted that religion is a human creation, then it is like art and literature and things like that. They are an extremely valuable way to understand yourself.”"

    https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/home-news/survey-finds-2-of-anglican-priests-are-not-believers-9821899.html

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, yeah, I guess I could understand that. I have heard religious leaders say similar things, now that you mention it.

    ReplyDelete