Wednesday, January 8, 2020

Inching Forward

Walk Together

My big news is, I took the dog for his daily walk this evening.
It was 11ºF (-12ºC), but I got up off the couch to take him out. We only went around a couple blocks, but it perked us both up.

Aren't I scintillating? 

But it is interesting to me how much I'm enjoying these outings, and the dog himself--unexpectedly so. 

The blue bit in the lower right corner is the handle of the retractable  leash---I got it at the thrift store, and it makes the dog's walks much better. 
He's such an EASY dog, compared to bink's terriers--the main dogs I've known over the past twenty years.

I suppose it's normal enough, but I'm surprised that I'm starting to have an independent relationship with the dog. He came and lay on my bed this afternoon while I was working in my room. Normally he stays on the couch in the living room where he can look out the window.
He's a mild dog--easily cowed--but he has his preferences... 
He LOVES going for walks: his oxytocin or whatever happiness hormone kicks in is probably doing us both a lot of good and encouraging our bonding.
Huh.
I wrote that sort of facetiously, but I bet it's true!


Act Together, and Independently 

The growing affection between me and the dog was especially welcome the last couple days, with the possibility of full-on war breaking out. 
Hasn't it been terrifying and horrible?

We are already at war, of course--have been for most of this century so far--but it could always get worse, and it looked like it might. (Still could... But it seems to have been averted, for now, pleasegod.)

I felt it was important to say something about the situation on the store's FB & IG, since svdp is about justice and compassion specifically for people on the bottom rungs of society, and war hits there the hardest.

Because no one at my store has any ideas about social media, there are no guidelines for me to follow.
In the year and a half I've been doing our FB, no one has said a single substantive thing about my posts--just a very occasional "nice job".
I'm making it all up as I go along.


Today I figured it'd be best to use St. Vincent's voice, not something more pointedly political and of the moment. 
Luckily the saint's big on works, not just "thoughts and prayers", and I found a suitable quote that could be interpreted many ways, but calls for thinking calmly––and doing something:
"Proceed quietly, pray a great deal, and act together."


 A Vincentian commented that it was "especially appropriate today," and on my personal page a friend commented,
"
'proceed quietly'---key words. From both U.S. and Iran leaders....no 'crowing'".
 So I chose correctly.

I don't pray, but I do try to practice discernment, which is related and is also something Vincent taught. He was pretty smart about the practical difficulties of trying to be compassionate and work for justice. Like making peace--good intentions alone are far from enough.

I've posted nine photos on the store's new IG. Looking for ideas and guidance, I spent the afternoon looking at other thrift accounts. Mostly they aren't impressive. The Society on the whole isn't up on marketing...
It'd be more efficient if they were, but then I wouldn't get to play and experiment:
I would be implementing some national marketing plan. Or, rather, I wouldn't, because I would hate that.
So, once again, the inefficiency that makes me gnash my teeth also allows a lot of creative freedom.


I looked at hundreds of posts with the hashtag #thriftedbooks too, and got some good ideas for photography and presentation of books (and other objects). It seems to be mostly young people posting about reading--it's very heartening.


I often feel insecure because I don't know what I'm doing and I fear I'm doing it badly, but I think I can do this social media thing for the store. Like taking the dog for a walk, the bar to clear is pretty low.

2 comments:

  1. I think you have a friend for life! Animals and babies will do that --they will attach themselves to someone other than their owner. This, of course, drives the owner crazy wondering why their dog, baby doesn't do that to them. Sometimes i wonder if it's a chemical thing like certain molecules joining.

    I like the quote.

    Kirsten

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think the key is, you're DOING it. You'll learn more as you go. The dog is adorable -- I love that photo of him lying next to your book. Those eyes! If he associates you with fun activities he'll love you forever -- and yes, I'm sure you benefit from the walks too. (I know I benefit from walking Olga!)

    ReplyDelete