Monday, October 14, 2019

Showing the Concrete

I woke up this morning happy about my plan to write every morning during NaNoWriMo-November and thinking it's a shame it's still a couple weeks away.
As if I couldn't start now....
Also, I probably don't want to write fiction, much less a novel. 
As if I have to....

I would like to write better, for myself. 

Specifically, I'd like to be able to describe physical things better.

I don't want to write lyrical descriptions––I don't like to read them. I would like to be able to add a touch of physical description to my writing.

My writing has often needed more dough for the raisins, more cushion for the sitting––more air space. I don't know how to write that, or not well.

I also simply don't know the words for things--the parts of windows, for instance. I don't want to learn technical writing, but I would like to pay attention to the parts of things.

I'm going to start my NaNoWriMo by writing descriptions of my coworkers, trying to catch them in their physical selves––

like Flaubert touching on Emma's interior using only exterior descriptions––
not listing things my coworkers believe or their demographics (which is how I think of them to myself).

This will be like sketching in a travel sketchbook--it will help me pay attention to details.

I'm not very attentive to physical details.
Once I was trying to describe Mr Furniture to a customer, and they said, "Oh, the guy with the nose ring?"

I'd never noticed he has a nose ring. 

Mr Furniture would be a good coworker to start with because he's very physical by nature*, and by his work. He's the furniture guy, and he's also an artist, both of which are about moving physical things around.

(* "By nature" = Mr Furniture told me that when he was seven, he threw himself off the couch trying to fly, and broke his arm. I still see that approach in him.)


So today at work, I'm going to pay attention to what Mr Furniture DOES that shows who he is...

I think that will be fun. 
I also think I'll post these exercises, or some of them.
I don't know if they'll be interesting to read, but I always pay more attention to writing if it's going out into the world.

Oh--here's the sort of thing Flannery O'Connor says about the sensory nature of writing that got me thinking how I've never been good at this. From "Writing Short Stories" in Mystery and Manners.
"The peculiar problem of the short-story writer is how to make the action he describes reveal as much of the mystery of existence as possible.  He has only a short space to do it in and he can't do it by statement. He has to do it by showing, not by saying, and by showing the concrete––so that his problem is really how to make the concrete work double time for him."

And this, from O'Connor's "The Nature and Aim of Fiction", is what I've always thought about the material a writer needs:
"The fact is that anyone who has survived his childhood has enough information about life to last him the rest of his days. If you can't make something out of a little experience, you probably won't be able to make it out of a lot. The writer's business is to contemplate experience, not to be merged in it."

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Much like New Year's resolutions can be made any time of the year.

Physical descriptions can be tricky. I prefer the explanation of something as opposed to the over loading of trade names. Some of the recent authors tend to use the terms: Uber/Lyft, use of a specific car name which to me makes the writing dated to me. One of them had so many trade names on the first page that I said, "no thank." With a physical description one can put their own mind illustration to the words.

Although I have thought more about the Koontz book about "unavoidably" leaves wet shoe prints. For me who reads lots of mystery and spy novels, the phrase didn't strike me as odd. I saw it as a character who basically didn't plan in advance or think that there might be a rug/carpet in the place. And perhaps that is what Koontz wanted the character to do.

Kirsten

Frex said...

Hi, Kirsten!
Brand names in fiction mystify me--why use something that will date so quickly?

Oh! I didn't fully explain the problem with "unavoidably":
Koontz set the character up as a guy who knows all about spy tactics.
So that he wouldn't take care to hide his tracks is like establishing a character as an expert hunter and then having him tromp through the woods, alerting all the wildlife to his presence.

Frex said...

P.S. (I just can't get over this, I guess.)
Also, even if the character didn't plan in advance, his action still wasn't "unavoidable", if you see what I mean.
It was avoidable, he just didn't avoid it...

It would have been better if Koontz had left the word off---"Mr X's shoes left wet footprints on the carpet."

Frex said...

P.P.S. I don't mean to be argumentative--I think it's fun to think about this! Thanks for picking up on it.

Anonymous said...

Oh, this is not argumentative at all! Okay, so if the character is supposed to be a spy but isn't hiding his tracks, yes, I would have dumped the book also.

Now if the spy was having an off day, sure, leave tracks but add text so we know it.

And if it had been written that they wanted the person to know that someone had been there, that would have been different.

But I'm with you, if I don't find it believable, the book is gone.

My favorites are when the characters not only change gender on the same page but within a sentence or two and the change wasn't caught by the editor. And I really love library books where previous readers had edited the grammar.

Kirsten