Thursday, October 24, 2019

Ghost Story

I was scrounging through the shelves looking for books to fill in my display of Halloween season reading and was pleased (with myself, smugly, as much as for the display) to remember that Our Town is a ghost story.

I've never read Zola, but I was surprised he titled a book In Secret--seems like modern styling. 
And it is--it's a retitling of Thérèse Raquin after the 2013 film adaptation.

It's gratifying when books sell that have been on the shelf a long time, once they're displayed. A couple Daphne DuMauriers, for instance.
But Anne Rice, once so hot, is truly yesterday's cold potatoes--her books don't go.


Sometimes I'm annoyed when someone buys a book I like seeing on display. Our Town sold right away.
Put that back!

4 comments:

Steve Reed said...

Ha! I feel the same way when someone checks out a book I've put in a display! I've completely forgotten the plot of "Our Town," but I know I read it at some point.

Anonymous said...

And having worked in retail (Pottery Barn and The Limited), I know the feeling!

It was also interesting when the display would have an item that had been on the shelves for several weeks but customers never noticed it until you put it somewhere else.

Kirsten

bink said...

I know I read Our Town years ago...but I too can't remember the plot.

Fresca said...

I admit I don't remember the plot either--saw it a million years ago. (An adaptation on TV, I think?)