Monday, August 5, 2019

What I'm Reading

1. The Longfellow volume contains "The Courtship of Miles Standish," which I want to read because I'm moving into the Standish neighborhood (near Minnehaha Falls).

2. I took home The Jane Austen Book Club, expecting to be disappointed and return it the next day, but I'm pleasantly surprised--it's a series of essays about Austen's novels disguised as fiction, but the stories about the members of the book clubs are engaging me too.

3. Picking Up: On the Streets and Behind the Trucks with the Sanitation Workers of New York City Up
A topic close to my heart! I'd started writing on contract a book for teens about trash, and I gave it up because the research was so distressing
(e.g., we in the US selling our electronic trash to Nigeria and other places, where children sit in smoldering dumps buring the toxic plastic off wires to salvage the metal below).

But working in thrift is all about trash;  I'd like to write something organized about thrift--(funny, too, which this book is not, so far). I should do that...
 4. nothing was the same--I'd dated a guy with bipolar disorder who said KRJ's memoir, An Unquiet Mind, was the best thing he'd ever read about living with it.
Nothing Was the Same, about KRJ's husband and her grief at his death, is not the equivalent for grief. It's a lot of abstract description of how great her husband was, "so kind and caring"... 
I feel for her loss, but I didn't finish the book.

(Come to think of it, none of the famous books about grief that I've read have caught me. Joan Didion, C S Lewis, etc.)

5. Excited to read the chapter on the Doll Festival in the Shinto Shrine.

6, 7. Haven't started these next two...

8. Thank You for Being Late
Not sure I'll finish this but appreciate his reminder that EVERYTHING IS GOING REALLY FAST AND YOUR BRAIN CAN'T KEEP UP . . .  but it's OK. 

9. I keep wondering if I should cancel the Economist (it's expensive), and I keep not. 
The home-owners where I'm sitting have a subscription, and I'm enjoying reading it here. 
Sometimes it's more frightening to read this newspaper's calm reporting about things like death from climate change (the heat waves this summer kill as many but get less press than fast-and-shorter events, like hurricanes, but are just as bad)--and sometimes it's more inspiring, that thoughtful people are on it.

2 comments:

  1. That book about the trash collectors sounds interesting! I'm always intrigued by rubbish, as you know. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, it was interesting--might be worth getting from the library.

    ReplyDelete