Thursday, August 15, 2019

I used my new address


I haven't moved, and I haven't sent out these cards (from the store) yet, but I used my new address today:
I ordered another Orphan Red, to be delivered to my new place.

I'd thought six little reds was the maximum, but these ones want to share their upcoming doll house, if a suitable doll could be found. 

I looked on eBay, and there she was.

Obviously a rapscallion.
Could her name be Minnie Micawber? 

I'm excited: 
I'm going to sleep at my new place tomorrow and watch the dog, Principessa, while Patti is out of town overnight. 
(Principessa's real name is Prince, but he seems like a princess to me.) 
The place is a mess because Patti has been sanding the floors and moving rooms, but it'll be great to get to know the place a little, on my own.

II. Change is in the air.

A customer asked me on a date yesterday. That hasn't happened in quite a while––at least not in any real way. A chronically drunk guy did propose marriage a few months ago, but I couldn't take it personally. Working with the public, that's something of a job hazard. (Remember the "your barista is not flirting with you" clip?)

This guy was not a psycho pest or anything like that––he was funny, with wire Harry Potter eye glasses––and his offer was slightly flattering. Not as flattering as it would've been if he knew my name, but not unpleasant.

I have been thinking it might be nice to have a sweetie again one day, maybe. (I don't know, it's hard to imagine. . .)  At any rate, though, since my favorite thing is to read side-by-side with a sweetie––reading in bed before falling asleep is the brass ring––I imagine a compatible person would not only ask my name but would shop in the BOOK's, which this guy doesn't.
Still, being asked out felt like a little sign of life.

5 comments:

  1. I had to look up Micawber; didn't know the reference. After reading a brief paragraph which described him, I thought he must be Dickens' version of Pollyanna. I like the new Orphan; has a little bit of street urchin air about her. I bet she'll fit right in!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like the look of that new Orphan Red--she definitely has a gleam in her eye.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The new Orphan Red is such a cutie! Although I am betting she may be offended by being called that!

    Can one ever have too many Orphan Reds? Perhaps they will come and go at different times.

    Great catch on the non-compatible guy not asking your name and not shopping in the BOOK's. Years ago my then-boyfriend and I were visiting his parents. His mother made a comment about how they saw me reading the cereal box (I was desperate for reading material and they had none). Right then I had an inkling that it wasn't meant to be.

    It sounds like the new place shall be an adventure and maybe new things coming your way.

    Kirsten

    ReplyDelete
  4. CROW: Yes, Micawber is a weird character who always insists on that things are going to get better. Meanwhile, he drags his wife and children through misery... I don't like him, but Dickens rewards him at the end with a happy ending.

    (But my Minnie is not him.
    I'm thinking she's more like Minnie Beebe, the sensible little girl in Room with a View, who says to her uncle, the reverend Beebe, the wonderful line,
    "Everyone is being horrid––let's go out to tea."

    BINK: Sometimes the dolls are different in person, but I am expecting a scamp!

    KIRSTEN: Eight Reds was a bit overwhelming, and I found new homes for two of them.
    So yes, perhaps some of these will move on eventually. Or not.
    I WAS going to give Sparkle & Bounce to the little girl next door to where I was house sitting, but they were too excited about moving to a doll house (there's one at my new place)---they've never had a permanent address before.
    So along they come.

    I read cereal boxes too--never thought anyone DIDN'T... But they don't.
    A friend said she was once so desperate for something to read on a trip, she read her car's manual.

    I can imagine being good friends with a non-reader but hard to imagine sharing life intimately, up-close with a non-reading lover...

    ReplyDelete
  5. What an interesting look Marz has! And congrats on the potential date -- even if you don't take him up on it, it's nice to be asked.

    ReplyDelete