Saturday, August 10, 2019

Books. Books are good.

When I was a teenager, I told my father that I wouldn't need to work a lot when I was grown up: 
as long as there were public libraries, I would have access to books, and I could always scrounge paper and pencils.

This is one of the few times he looked at me with approval, which no doubt firmed up my intention. (In theory, he could have given me a different perspective on "work", but that wasn't his world view...)


I was right too--I've managed to live well without full-time, professional work. I couldn't foresee this, but the Internet made my scheme even better. It's a 24/365 super-library, and publisher.

I hope I didn't sound all preachy in yesterday's post. 
Every so often, I stop to think over what's right for me, re applying for government help. 
Living the way I do, I mostly have to figure that out for myself... on a case-by-case basis. I don't have a lot of role models.

Recently, for instance, the city bus set up a program for low-income riders to ride for $1. You have to apply, and I did, with no hesitation.
Public transport is good in so many ways, I want all US cities to subsidize free public transit for everyone, in fact, like in some cities around the world. 

[Cities spend an enormous amount of money on cars--traffic control is one of the main things police do, for instance. The more people use public transit (or bike/walk), the less cars on the road--it's a virtuous cycle.]

That's different than accepting food stamps, which are a limited resource. Even though I qualify, I don't really NEED that help. Maybe when I'm old I will, and I'll reassess. 

I'm 58... say, in twenty years, if I'm alive? (And who knows what the state of the world will be by then either. )

In the meantime, I'm enjoying life. 
Cashiering is a mixed bag. Naturally--working with people is, and standing behind the check-out counter, I'm trapped with them. It's worth doing, but it can be a real pain...

The BOOK'S are nothing but good though. 
Well, except for human factors, like donations of moldy books. Also, books are heavy, and my coworkers are mostly in worse shape than I am, so I don't like to ask for help moving boxes. 

I need to move more slowly--Mr Rogers is my new role model.
I never watched him, growing up. I didn't realize he does toys!
Must look further.

No comments:

Post a Comment