Friday, July 12, 2019

Pick yourself up, dust yourself off....

... Start all over again!

An unexpected possibility has come up.
I messaged some people that I'm looking for a roommate situation, in case they know of anything. A longtime friend wrote back that she's been thinking of sharing her two-bedroom house, now her grown son has moved out.
This is the little house, in a neighborhood with far, far lower population density than my current one.

There are some issues (of course), but I'm pretty jazzed about this possibility. I'm going to go over next week sometime to talk about how we might share the space.

If I move here, I'd be oriented differently to the city and its waters. Ever since I moved to the city when I was nineteen, I've lived close to the chain of lakes not far from downtown.
This is away: close to the Mississippi River, and closer to twin city St. Paul (just across the river). 


She'd be happy to accept the same low rent I'm paying now, so I can afford to stay in my job! The thrift store is between us, so from her place, I'd only have to bike a couple more miles to work.

Stretch

I'm attracted to living in an unfamiliar neighborhood. 
For years after my mother's death, I didn't go much beyond a mile radius (if that! more like a five-block radius for a long time).

When Mz moved here eight summers ago, I was energized to go exploring with her, but when she moved out four years ago, I slumped back into my familiar routines. Working from home, mostly, meant I never had to go far.


The thrift store has activated my bounce again. Contact with people, physical work, even just biking the couple miles to work in a different neighborhood have all energized me.

I want to stretch gently into the city, into more life, like starting do to physical therapy exercises for frozen muscles.


 I'm holding myself back from getting too excited about moving because if this doesn't work out, I want to stay calm for what might be a long process. 

I want to cultivate patience and trust that even if this doesn't work out, something will, eventually.

But the excitement I do feel shows me that I am ready and eager to stretch.

No comments:

Post a Comment