Wednesday, June 12, 2019

Julia Child Book, Signed

I flipped through a donated copy of Mastering the Art of French Cooking, and found an envelope from Random House.
Inside were two presentation notes signed by Julia Child.
(I found copies of Child's signature at Harvard, and they seem to be hers all right: a distinctive "Bon" in "Bon Appetit", and her "J's" do vary.)

The owner had tucked newspaper clippings of Julia Child's column in the 1970 Minneapolis Star newspaper in their matching sections. Fun, but they acid-stained the pages.
I'm not sure how to price this... Signed copies sell for couple hundred and up. How should the accompanying clippings affect the price? Must look further...





5 comments:

  1. I think the newspaper articles add to the sale of the book. If it were me, I would just note that the newspaper stained the book.

    I love when the newspaper review of the book is included as it provides a snapshot into the thinking at that time.

    Kirsten

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Kirsten---I agree that the 1970 clippings ADD interest.
    After all, you can easily get a new copy of this book, if it's just clean copies of the recipes you want.
    (It was reissued after the "Julie & Julia" movie came out too.)

    ReplyDelete
  3. They do indeed add interest — I have a copy of The Seven Storey Mountain into which someone pasted a Time article (1948?) about the book. But whenever I pull an old book off the shelf and see the damage that even a scrap of paper used as a bookmark has done, I remind myself not to leave anything between pages.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You should get top dollar for that! Kudos!

    ReplyDelete