Tuesday, April 9, 2019

Front Loader & Fruit Baskets

I. Fully Loaded

There's no time before work to take the Orphan Reds outside with their new construction truck (a front loader--I had to look that up), but they're getting into it on the kitchen table.
I'm chuffed that the truck fits all three.


From the back, Red Hair Girl makes the truck noises. 
It is very noisy.

II. How to Thank Someone for a Fruit Basket

The truck is from work, of course, and on Michael's suggestion, I also brought home The Bantam Book of Correct Letter Writing, a 1958 abridgement of a 1948 book.

I learned: 
"Often when people leave for foreign shores, their relatives and friends send bon voyage gifts to the ship or plane."

And here's the sample thank-you:
(Isn't that a bit effusive for a basket of fruit, even a most magnificent one? Maybe it's code?)

Next time a friend goes on a trip, I'm sending a fruit basket to their airplane.

3 comments:

Michael Leddy said...

What a gracious gift! I like the way Mr. P. is a surname (and twice). My maternal grandmother and her neighbor, for decades and decades addressed one another as “Mrs. Conran” and “Mrs. Leddy.” No fruit baskets though.

Fresca said...

I remember my mother being "Mrs." too--and we kids called our friend's parents Mr. & Mrs.
When I was in my forties, I met an old friend and her parents, whom I hadn't seen since 4th grade, and I automatically called her parents Mr. & Mrs. McElroy--
it felt like some anthropological time travel, in a nice way.

I have never been given a fruit basket...

bink said...

I have been present for fruit basket receipt...I know I've eaten fruit offered from fruit baskets...it must have been in work situations...but I have never personally given or received a fruit basket. It's seems so antiquated.

I also grew up calling every adult Mr., Mrs., or Miss. I was excited when Ms. came along and decided that was what I would be when I grew up.