Sunday, April 14, 2019

"Les Misérables" and My Work

I expect many (most?) of my coworkers and fellow Vincentians don't know it, but the Society of SVDP was founded because of the poverty and injustice that Victor Hugo wrote about in Les Misérables.

I just posted this on the thrift store's FB, which I manage by default––i.e. no one else wants to (... and I do).
"THIS––the world of Les Misérables"––led to the founding of the Society of St. Vincent de Paul ! ! ! 😯
Nineteen-year-old Frederic Ozanam was in Paris during the story's [real!] events of 1832, & the poverty & injustice led him to start our Society.

📺 New mini-series "Les Mis" starts TONIGHT, Sunday 4/14, @ 8/9 PM  on MASTERPIECE, free on PBS television stations. (* * * OR * you can pay for "Passport" to stream it anytime online...)"
PREVIEW: www.pbs.org/wgbh/masterpiece/clips/les-miserables-official-preview 


(I don't have a TV and I don't want to pay to stream it, so I won't be watching, but I'm excited to share it with my colleagues.)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

On my local PBS station it is now available for public viewing until April 28th. I started watching it but realized that I needed a block of time to do so!

Kirsten

Fresca said...

Yes, glad to see it's streaming here too--since I don't have a TV.
Not sure I'll actually get around to watching it though!