Wednesday, April 24, 2019

Beautiful Box

People see things differently, that's for sure. 

The other day I pulled this antique pantry box out of the dumpster at work. I can imagine why someone threw it out, since it's missing a slat, but it's still a beautiful handmade piece--and it's stamped "Minn" (far right), adding local interest.
 
Individuals used these boxes the 1800s to store food stuffs in their pantries. This is a big one--that's a desk chair it's sitting on. Maybe it's from a manufacturer? A grain measure?
It's bentwood, with a straight seam down one side, fasted with tacks--metal ones, here.


I also pulled a sterling silver dish out of the dumpster (do I sound like a broken record?).
When I reminded the housewares volunteer to watch for anything stamped "sterling," she told me she'd thought it wasn't worth anything since it was engraved.

True, engraved dishes aren't worth much, but silver is hardly dumpster material.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh so many see things differently! I would have snatched that box up in a minute even with the missing slat. The box is actually in good condition especially on the curved sides.

As for engraving on sterling-yes, it may be engraved but someone will still want it or can be sold for the metal.

I wonder if the stuff going in the dumpster is because the sorters themselves do not see value in it. Some people just don't want old stuff or care about it as it doesn't help them or mean anything to them.

Kirsten

ArtSparker said...

Ballot box

Frex said...

KIRSTEN Oh yes, definitely you're right that things end up in the trash because the sorters don't think they're valuable.
They tell me so!
"No one would want that old broken thing."

I try to explain about "antiques", but some just scoff.

SPARKER: I like how you see things.

Bet said...

Who in the world would throw out that box? I wouldn't for sure :)
High Odds Dota 2 Betting

bink said...

Beautiful box! Glad you were able to save it. Someone will be thrilled to get that.

Steve Reed said...

That IS a great old box. And STERLING SILVER?! Good grief. It makes you wonder what went out with the trash before you got there.