Saturday, March 16, 2019

Noritake "Spotlight"

Reader, I bought them.

The set of chunky 1970s drinking glasses.
Supervolunteer Michael––the only person at work who knows or cares about vintage––found them online:
they're smoky walnut Noritake "Spotlight" water goblets.


Boom & Orange claimed one for a turret.

Here's an ad for the glasses in an old newspaper online. They cost $3.99 in 1975––doesn't that seem expensive?
I got them for $1.25 each, but they sell online for more like $5.


The Eight

There are eight Orphan Reds.

Here they are, posing for a school portrait.
L to R: SweePo, Red Hair Girl, Penny Cooper, Orange Colored Sky, Boom.
The new ones are seated, front.
We don't really know them yet, and their names are in flux.
The new ones are wearing cast offs, temporarily. Penny Cooper is holding their old plaid dresses. She has entered the dresses in her Book of Things Concerning Dolls as "Property of Me".

The dolls come with these dresses, but Penny Cooper is the only one who likes them.
She loves them!

I'd worried that eight Orphan Reds would be too many, but it's not.

Thrift Store Stuff

I did not buy this, a clock on decoupaged wood showing a bear punching a desktop computer. 
Along the bottom it reads "ENTER YOUR RESPONSE".

I was tempted because this reminds me of learning the computer for the first time in... 1992? I was working in the art-college library.
I remember asking, "How do you turn it on?"
I also remember the little bomb onscreen that meant the computer had crashed, and, if you were like me, you'd lost your work because you hadn't remembered to Save. 


Finally, another ex libris bookplate, in a donated book:



(The store is lit with fluorescents, and my photos always reflect that.)

4 comments:

  1. I didn't know Noritake made glassware, they are most known for their ceramic dishes and mugs.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I didn’t know it either—we get lots of donated Noritake plates but if we get glassware I’ve missed it. It’s not stamped in the glasses—originally they had a sticker

    ReplyDelete
  3. So glad you picked up the glasses!!

    I didn't know either about Noritake making glassware but at that time it makes sense. One wanted to have matching glassware with the dishes. Also it was a way for the manufacturer to increase their sales. Noritake dishes were good dishes for their time.

    Actually $4.00 in the 70s is about $25 now. I had to look it up!!! So those would have been expensive glasses for the time. $1 in 1970 is $6.47 in 2018 (purchasing power).

    I love looking at old ads and seeing if I can find them in the shops. It also helps in seeing the good stuff quickly.

    I later thought that the Orphan Reds might like them as an item. Old glasses are also good for corraling stuff!

    Kirsten

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for looking up the price in today's dollars, Kirsten!
    Yeah, pricey...
    I got my first apartment in 1977--shared a room, actually, in a co-op house, for $65/month.





    ReplyDelete