Tuesday, January 1, 2019

Furnishings

I once said I never wanted to be the sort of person who talks about her furniture, so I'll just post these photos of my seventies finds from work, with minimal fuss. (But I don't know if I can remain a person who doesn't talk about furnishings, now I work in a thrift store and keep finding interesting ones...)

__________________________
The clock doesn't work, but I don't want to know what time it is.

The lamp is a "crushed velvet, hanging swag lamp".  It works fine, but the bottom pendant is broken (you can see it hangs crooked).
Steve in the comments suggested these lamps are from motels, and this certainly is cheaply made, and tawdry enough. (But it has no odor, which makes me think it was in a smoke-free home.)

Now I must add a photo of Hutch (David Soul) in an all-green/gold motel room, from Starsky & Hutch.
The color of the crushed-velvet of my lamp doesn't show well in the photo above, but it's avocado. 
It would fit perfectly here: 

8 comments:

  1. Excellent finds! I had a similar cylindrical hanging lamp and a sunburst clock myself at one time, back in my 20s. They were "retro" even then. I'm pretty sure those lamps came from motel rooms.

    ReplyDelete
  2. STEVE: Oh, interesting that's just what I have been telling people:
    This looks like a motel lamp. I bet you're right and it really IS!
    It's cheap and tawdry enough, for sure. (I love it.)
    --Fresca (Frex)

    ReplyDelete
  3. P.S. And now I've added a photo of an appropriate motel room from the 70s. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love seeing what furnishings show up in people's abodes. Those are definitely fun!

    Starsky and Hutch -- the quintessential 70's show! I was in "love" with David Soul at the time and so disappointed when I found out he had a girlfriend who had bit parts on the show at the time.

    Kirsten

    ReplyDelete
  5. Bradley and I were wed in the thick of this trend (1974) and reaped a bounty of Tupperware, dish towels, and serving platters in the Holy Trinity: avocado green, harvest gold, and burnt orange.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Why is Starchy reading the Holy Bible? Is that what gave you the idea for your Elijah tableau? ha ha.

    ReplyDelete
  7. KIRSTEN: I gather David Soul had LOTS of girlfriends... and five wives! So you gave up too soon--you could have been one!
    (But he also abused at least one wife, who took him to court for it... He was sentenced to therapy or some such thing.)

    There's a Minneapolis connection--he went to college at the U-MN here.

    POODLE: Oooh, those 70s colors, yeah. I thought they were hideous then, and they are, but now I like them, but ONLY as small accents...
    Would love to see photos of your wedding haul!

    VIVIAN: I have a requested that information from my Starky & Hutch correspondent... :) S&H make fabulous visuals, but I can't stand to watch the show.
    Will get back to you!

    The idea for the tableau came from work:
    The Big Boss is a super-Christian, in the nicest way, and so we sometimes talk in Biblical terms. We were talking about how even if you believe in a thing, like a thrift store, you don't always want to DO the work... and I said, like the prophets!

    I LOVE how Elijah says, "I've had ENOUGH! Kill me now, Lord!"
    Sounds so modern, and definitely relatable!
    I feel like saying that some days at work...

    ReplyDelete
  8. OMG -- I love your motel photo of David Soul! LOL! Reading a Gideon Bible, no less. That's classic.

    ReplyDelete