Saturday, January 26, 2019

Everything is fine.

Speaking of clear signs, this one, above, from the NBC show The Good Place is genius. It's what the characters who've just died see when they wake up in a heaven-like place. 

The genius bit is not just the sign's clarity but that it turns out the sign is not exactly entirely true.
Which, if we think about it (part of the whole idea of the show),  invites us to think  about the power of clear, punchy messages. 
"Build a Bear Wall!"

Have you seen the show?
 
I watched it on Netflix because it was recommended by Cocktail Party Physics––a blog by physicist and Buffy fangirl Jennifer Ouellette––in one of her recent weekly round-ups of recs.
(J.O. also posts real cocktail recipes on the sidebar.) 

The Good Place is pretty good. It's by the creator of Parks & Recreation, and has a similar sweetness.
It's like one long and slow conversation about morality and ethics conducted while eating frozen yogurt and watching something like Cheers

(I haven't actually watched more than a couple episodes of Cheers, but Ted Danson (from Cheers) is the head of the Good Place. Since I've barely seen him before, I was surprised--as you may know, he's really good.)
.
I recommend The Good Place. The first season lags: even at 22-minutes per episode, it should've beeen 6 episodes, not 12, but keep watching for the far, FAR SUPERIOR second season. 
As philosophy, it's lightweight and full of holes. 
As TV, it's heavy, man!
But also light--I laughed a few times, and actually remembered some of what I laughed at. E.g., Frozen yogurt: an example of humans taking something good and making it a little less good so they can have more of it.

My Big Achievement of the Week

Speaking of signs,
here's my big achievement at work: 
I put up a new sign in the bathroom yesterday. 
I've been meaning to do this for almost a year, even before I was hired. Posting this week about the unclear bathroom sign in the museum got me to finally DO it.

Ever since I started at the thrift store, our bathroom has bugged me--no one takes care of it. An extra challenge is sometimes homeless customers take mini-baths in the sink.
I'm sympathetic--they want to be clean and don't have regular bathing opportunities, BUT, you can imagine, this makes a mess!*
.
[Please, no comments about how homeless people should take baths in their cars or something! I'm on their side, I just wish we had a real shower for people to use.] 

First thing I did last year was hang a picture of geraniums:
But.... see those scraggly, old paper notices?

It took me 11 months before I replaced them with a notice I printed off the internet and hung in a gold frame yesterday. 
(The sign's wording is cumbersome, but I don't care--in this case I was going for the semblance of cleanliness and care.)
ONLY after I took the photo did I realize the sign's just a tiny bit crooked in the frame. 
Oh well. 
It's going to stay like that until I print another sign . . . probably in another 11 months. There're just so many other things like this that need doing at the store. 
It'll do. 
It's fine!

Everything is fine.


–––––––––––––––––––––––––––

* I emailed my 93-y.o. auntie about the bathroom, and she emailed back:
"I try not to use public restrooms.  Sometimes it’s a necessity. 
Not too long ago I went into Walgreens restroom. A woman was shampooing her very long hair.
At least she was trying to keep clean. She looked at me rather sheepishly.
I commented to her, 'I bet that feels good'.

3 comments:

ArtSparker said...

Love The Good Place.

Frex said...

Maybe you even recommended it to me in the first place, Sparker!
I often don't get around to watching any shows, even when people tell me they're great. This week I was was tired of reading heavy stuff and decided to watch TV for the first time in quite a while.

ArtSparker said...

Heh, thanks for that.