Saturday, December 29, 2018

Rescue Reindeer

Walking through the parking lot at the thrift store, I heard a tiny voice.  "Help me!"

I went inside and got a bucket of hot water and a pair (pair?) of vintage mechanical ice tongs.
A bath at home restored Tiny Reindeer, who has happily joined the other Xmas decorations.

Last night I was reading a book on collectors. I'm not really a collector––(a major benefit of working at a thrift store is I get to enjoy things, but don't have to keep them)––but I do share some similarities. Still, I was surprised to recognize one of the reasons collectors give for collecting things: 
they feel sorry for left-behind objects!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

A Tiny Reindeer rescued! I think the SNARP rescues are marking walls and sidewalks much like the hobos used to: "this is the path of someone who will rescue you."

I only seem to find money!

Kirsten

Vivian Swift said...

Aw, he deserved to be rescued. He looks so happy to be home with his new person.

I collect lost baby mittens. One day, on my way to work, I found a tiny mitten encased in ice in the parking lot of the train station. I had to have it. So I went into the station and bought a cup of tea, hold the tea, and went out and poured the hot water onto the ice and freed the mitten. Sure, I missed my train, but it was worth it.

Fresca said...

KIRSTEN: LOL! Yes, they are pointing arrows to ME. Oddly, I haven't found any money in quite a while--maybe you only find one or the other?
But you did "find" those wonderful window toy tableaux!

VIVIAN: Baby Mittens? I *love* you rescued one from the ice. I've never heard anyone else ever talk about rescuing tiny things trapped in ice in parking lots before--maybe it's a thing?

Tiny Reindeer is sitting on a pile of books right next to me--I think he's a little clingy still, from his trauma, but overall yes, very happy!