Tuesday, December 25, 2018

Christmas Eve

It's Christmas morning now, and I'm washing last night's dinner dishes in shifts: the wine and water glasses are drying while the plates soak in the sink.

This is the tenth Christmas Eve, I think, I've made dinner for friends. 
I use my mother's super-easy, fail-proof Pot Roast Recipe:

1. Sprinkle Lipton's onion soup mix over a chuck roast


2. Add potatoes and carrots, and a bottle of cheap red wine

3. Bake in a covered pan in a 275ยบ oven until you can pull the meat apart with a fork (about 4–6 hours).
I love making Christmas Eve dinner for friends, but I was unexpectedly sad yesterday afternoon that I didn't have anyone to make the dinner with

I usually am more than happy to be single (really!), but yesterday I longed for someone else to share my life. Specifically, I mourned that there was no one to make green beans. 

You know how easy it is to cook green beans--I could have made them myself, but I just couldn't bring myself to do ONE MORE THING.
I felt very sorry for myself until the guests arrived, and then I had a wonderful evening. I didn't serve anything green at all, but as Mz said, "It's all about the roast."

Below, me, bink, Maura, Cathy, and Mz opening presents:

8 comments:

gz said...

It is good to share. Looks a lovely celebration.

poodletail said...

It was a lovely celebration and last night it tasted like the best meal I've ever eaten.

And we *did* have green olives.

Steve Reed said...

Green olives! LOL! I love it. Looks like a festive occasion despite the lack of a vegetable. (Let's face it -- vegetables, although necessary and occasionally even delicious, seldom make anything festive.)

Anonymous said...

Green beans -- they were on my list to fix! But I had the exact same thought and they didn't get fixed either.

For me from my mother: we need something green.

It does look like you all had a very festive time!

Kirsten

Frex said...

GZ: Sharing is a pleasure!


POODLE: Ha, right, I forgot the olives were bright green Sicilians!

STEVE: Vegetables do not a feast make. :)

KIRSTEN: "Thanks, mom." We do NOT need something green, we need someone to make greens for us.
It was a nice festive evening, that lack notwithstanding.

Anonymous said...

Ack! My comment didn't read well!

My mother used to say this particularly in the later years: "We need something green" which ended up getting drilled into my head!

K

bink said...

If the olives weren't enough green for you, remember some of the cookies had green icing! Besides, I think you can pass on green if you serve ORANGE! And the orange carrots were delish! A lovely meal was had by all!

Fresca said...

KIRSTEN: Thanks for the clarification! Makes sense...
I think my mother said the same thing!

BINK: Green icing on Xmas cookies = ALL THE GREEN YOU NEED!
Thanks, dear.