Monday, December 10, 2018

A Few Thoughts on Not Reading Novels

When I was a little kid, out in the car with my father, I used to marvel that my father could predict when a red stoplight was going to turn green.
When it dawned on me he was watching the other set of signals change from green to yellow, it was like finding a key to solving the world:
Look for the patterns.

I've been thinking about why I stopped reading novels in my forties, some dozen years ago. 
I still read some, but I used to read nothing but. 

I bet someone has written an incredibly insightful, spot-on essay about this––publishers know it's a predictable shift in reading patterns––but I want to try to figure it out for myself. 
So, I'm going to launch into it here.
(I've been musing on it for a while, so these aren't entirely new thoughts, but I haven't written them out fully before, so this is somewhat preliminary.)

I'm pretty sure it mostly has to do with me being old(er).
I have seen the patterns laid out in novels many times before. Often, I am either too bored, too critical, or too emotionally frazzled by real life to enjoy reading them again.

At any rate, it's not novels that have changed, it's me.

I used to read novels for entertainment. 

Much entertaining fiction stopped working for me. When I was a teenager, I read Gothic-y romances, for instance. I loved Mary Stewart! 

That was the first fiction I remember failing due to plot fatigue.

It seems predictable that people would tire of these formulas, but there's a pleasure in them too: romance and crime/mysteries are the top selling fiction genres. But I can't get into them.

Then, authors sometimes (often enough) get behavior and motivation wrong--just a little, which is all it takes to ruin a story. 
I recognize this more easily, being older: "That character is false."

I can't stand to read Charles Dickens anymore, for instance. Some of his characters--especially his women--are so ill formed, I just can't overlook it.

I suppose I'm becoming Charlotte Bartlett! 
In Room with a View, Charlotte Bartlett, the annoying older chaperone, says dismissively of a young man, "I have met the type before."

When I was young, I thought she was a killjoy. 
And she is, but, she's also right--because she's old and HAS met the type before.
How long are Lucy and the young man in question, George, going to be happy, after their marriage? (NOT that Lucy'd have been happier with her first choice, Cecil.)
But then, E. M. Forster has written a comic novel, not a tragedy.

I used to read novels for education. Why do humans do the things we do?
Not such a mystery at almost-sixty.
Human behavior is complex, and I'm still interested, but for years I've turned more to neurology and social studies (including economics) than tales of personal experience.

I used to be very interested, when I met people, in their personal stories, and I notice I'm not so much anymore.
Partly this is because I learned that people are not their own best interpreters. 


I wanted people to explain their political beliefs to me, for instance. Not what their political beliefs were, but WHY they believed them.
It's a rare person who can do that. Novelists are people too.

I used to read novels for escape. Take me away!
I don't feel that need so much anymore. 

I sleep a lot--that shuts down the circuits better and gives me time to process the stimulus of the day.

I used to read novels for emotional experiences.

Now, I don't want to put myself through that wringer. I've had plenty of it in my own life--I wouldn't choose it for entertainment's sake.

I started to read Madame Bovary last year. Right away, it was great! When Charles Bovary meets young Emma, she's darning a sock (darning!), and he sees drops of sweat on her bare shoulders.

"She worked with her head bent down; she did not speak, nor did Charles. The air coming in under the door blew a little dust over the flags; he watched it drift along, and heard nothing but the throbbing in his head and the faint clucking of a hen that had laid an egg in the yard. Emma from time to time cooled her cheeks with the palms of her hands, and cooled these again on the knobs of the huge fire-dogs.
"Some flies on the table were crawling up the glasses that had been used, and buzzing as they drowned themselves in the dregs of the cider.  "
Oh my God. Those details--the way she cools her palms on the metal... TOO REAL! I can't stand to go on: I know how it goes, in the novel, and in real life.
I don't want to watch Emma drown in the dregs of cider.

I can't stand to watch Humbert Humbert destroy Lolita again, either, even though the writing is sublime.

And so on.

So--ha! Am I saying either the writing is too poor--I can't suspend my disbelief, or I lose interest--or it's too good, and I can't bear it?
Maybe so.

A Few Novels I Love

I do still read novels, here and there, and I still love some novels I first read decades ago.

Some fiction I've enjoyed recently, I've enjoyed for the nonfiction in it. A River Runs Through It, for instance.

The self-destructive brother? Yeah, yeah, I have met the type before.
But I knew nothing about fly fishing. I would not have read a how-to nonfiction account of it, but
I loved reading about that in a fictional setting!

Then there are novels that tell a story in an unusually honest way that cuts through a common myth--and tell it well.

Comedy in a Minor Key by Hans Keilson (first published in Holland, 1947), about a Christian couple hiding a Jewish man, who dies of natural causes, and the couple has to dispose of his body--really about the daily annoyances of doing the right thing. 


Similarly, I  have never read anything like the amazing novel Life with a Star, by Jiri Weil (Czech, first published between 1945-1948).

Based on the author's real experience, this novel is about the daily annoyances of hiding from the Nazis. The protagonist, a Jewish man hiding in Prague, almost gives himself up to a round-up for transportation to a concentration camp ... for the relief of getting it over with! to set down the heavy burden of freedom, and to join everyone else. 
So human! 

There's a rare person, who knows that and can convey it:
I don't want to be free:
IT'S TOO MUCH WORK!
 

But... he does choose it.

The author did not go on to have a happy life, but he did survive to write this book, and others.

And, is it too flippant to say I was happy to see he had a cat?  >
 

Jane Eyre.

I reread this a few years ago, and it was an entirely different book than the book I'd read when I was twelve. Then it was about an unloved, almost unlovable girl who finds love––a Gothic romance, in fact.

Now it was.... mmmm... almost, like, A Guide to How to Become an Artist When Everything, Really Every Thing, Is Against It.

I suppose it's like Life with a Star,  come to think of it: a novel based on the author's lived experience of how much bloody work it is to choose freedom.

When I was young, I thought Jane should have stayed with Rochester, despite finding out about his secret wife. It took me several readings over many years before I saw what her choice meant.

I think it's hard for some modern readers like me to see, because social standards have changed so much, and Jane is being true to a standard that is out of fashion.
But it's not the standard she is being true to, it is her self.

The happy ending is, sadly, a bit of untruth. There was no conventional happy ending for Charlotte Bronte, anymore than there was for Jiri Weil. 

Maybe they had some happiness in having written a true novel?

Isn't it pretty to think so?


Heh--and there's a reason to read novels--for the sentences!

9 comments:

ArtSparker said...

Huh, I would say the end of Jayne Eyre is not so much happy as about equality at the cost of burning away the inner and outer physical structures which give Rochester power over Jane. Did someone say Patriarchy (wasn't me).

Frex said...

Well, yes—but it leads to personal happiness for Jane too, such as Bronte did not get—perhaps she might have? If she hadn’t died in childbirth. . .?

ArtSparker said...

Happiness or contentment? Rochester and Jane have been expelled from Paradise. My recollection is she gets to see their
child playing around their tower, so I'll grant you there's a difference. It's as if Bronte surgically removed romance along with Rochester's sight so the two could survive and be together.

Fresca said...

Good question! I had to go back and reread the ending--it's a pretty glowing picture, I'd say--more than I'd even remembered.

Jane Eyre says:
"My tale draws to its close: one word respecting my
experience of married life...
I have now been married ten years. I know what it is to live entirely for and with what I love best on earth. I hold myself supremely blest—––blest beyond what language can express; because I am my husband’s life as fully is he is mine. No woman was ever nearer to her mate than I am:
ever more absolutely bone of his bone and flesh of his
flesh. I know no weariness of my Edward’s society: he
knows none of mine, any more than we each do of the pulsation of the heart that beats in our separate bosoms;
consequently, we are ever together. To be together is for
us to be at once as free as in solitude, as gay as in
company. We talk, I believe, all day long: to talk to each
other is but a more animated and an audible thinking. All
my confidence is bestowed on him, all his confidence is
devoted to me; we are precisely suited in character—
perfect concord is the result.
...
My Edward and I, then, are happy...."

PLUS Edward's sight is partially restored! and everyone Jane loves is happily married too!

So...a bit of wishful thinking there, after all the Sturm und Drang?

ArtSparker said...

You can't disbelieve her saying she is supremely happy, I'll grant you - but it
is interesting that she is supremely happy with someone who is dependent on her, she having proved that she did not need to be dependent on him. So, definitely subversive, if the male character needs to cut down to size in order to form a more perfect union.
No lil Edward, then?

Fresca said...

Oh, Sparker, I totally agree with you that it's subversive!
Yes, yes.
Indubiously, Jane has triumphed!

I was just checking my memory that the character ends up happier than the author, which I had said in the original post.

And yep, you remember correctly: there's a baby too, and, it's implied, more than one:

"When [Edward's] first-born was put into his arms, he could see that the boy had inherited his own eyes, as they once were—large, brilliant,
and black."

When I was young I used to be sort of annoyed, however, that the person she wraps up with is St. John, the missionary to India, who she believes is near death.
NOW I think St. John is the twin to Jane, but on the world stage (and, of course, with a 19th cent. world view):

"He entered on the path he had marked for himself;
he pursues it still. A more resolute, indefatigable pioneer
never wrought amidst rocks and dangers. Firm, faithful,
and devoted, full of energy, and zeal, and truth, he labours
for his race; he clears their painful way to improvement;
he hews down like a giant the prejudices of creed and
caste that encumber it. He may be stern; he may be
exacting; he may be ambitious yet; but his is the sternness
of the warrior Greatheart..."

P.S. I'm cut-and-pasting this off the PDF:
www.planetpdf.com/planetpdf/pdfs/free_ebooks/jane_eyre_nt.pdf

Fresca said...

P.S. I hope I wasn't unclear---the happy ending has nothing to do with me still loving "Jane Eyre"--in fact, it feels a bit false, deus ex machina-y.

Vivian Swift said...

I enjoyed reading this essay. I stopped reading fiction for all the same reasons, the most important one being that when I was younger I thought that novels held the answers to the big questions in life. I took notes. I'm glad that I did, because what I did by accident was spend a lot of time copying good writing, getting an ear for the inner musicality of beautifully written sentences. I still have my notebooks, going back to 1976 (Grapes of Wrath was the first book that made me put it down so I could go get a pen and copy a paragraph) but now I read those deep thoughts and they seem...not so deep, and sometimes patronizing.

Thank goodness that there is brilliant non-fiction available.

I haven't read Jane Eyre in decades. I am interested in your interpretation that it's about an artist finding herself. If I remember, by comparison, Portrait of an Artist as a Young Man was a dead bore. I'd like to read more about a woman finding her way as a creative individual but NOT that awful "Artist's Way" crap.

Fresca said...

VIVIAN: I'm so glad to hear that you share these reasons for not reading novels (at least, not so much)---I felt I was floundering, writing them out---did they make sense? Were they even true?
So it's good to know they resonated with you.

I'd be interested to hear if Jane Eyre resonates with you too....
It has been a few years since I had that revelation ("Oh, this is about an author becoming an author"), not sure if I even want to try rereading it now!

I'm glad I don't have my young-self's diaries anymore ---I know I would cringe at my "deep" thoughts, though I also think it's GREAT that the young me did feel deeply enough to want to think and write...