Saturday, December 8, 2018

A Christmas Window

Like most everything at the thrift store, the windows get short shrift--mostly, someone just tosses furniture into them, or, this month, a bunch of random Christmas stuff, and that's the display. 

Yesterday, however, when I asked Big Boss what to do with a creche set and he said, "You could put it in the window," I took that as permission to borrow one of the furniture guys and spend the afternoon decorating.

We took time to establish a color theme (reds & golds), and even a little narrative:
the wise men are walking across dry lands (orange!) to Bethlehem (higher up), 

and the big angel in red is blessing the Holy Family...

Here it is in process---as yesterday's afternoon sun hit the window: 


____________
I could tell my coworker loved doing something creative for a change--we had a lot of fun:

Window displays take a ton of work, of course, and we don't have the staff. 
At Steeple People thrift store, where I volunteered a few years ago, a crew of volunteers put together fantastic displays every single Tuesday. The lead volunteer had worked in retail, she chose a theme of the week well in advance, so fitting stuff could be set aside for her, and the crew spent a whole day at it.
Sigh...

I am not decorating my books area for Christmas--partly because I don't want to be religiously specific. 

The store doesn't evangelize, but it is "faith-based", and the faith is Christianity.  
St. Vincent is a Catholic saint, and the Society of SVDP is, of course, a Catholic society, but the staff at my store is maybe a little more nondenominational or evangelical Christian than Catholic.

Remember one of the volunteers took me to task for putting Bibles on a bottom shelf, near the floor?
"We were talking about it," she told me, "and it doesn't seem respectful."

(I moved the Bibles to a higher shelf.)

In this milieu, I call myself a "sort-of Catholic", because it fits me best philosophically ("God is love; love one another; feed the hungry..."), even though I'm technically NOT a believer.
Still, "Catholic Humanist" fits me pretty well, culturally.


A lot of our customers, however, are Muslims, often from or with family from East Africa (lots of Somalis in town), or, I sense, people (often younger) with no religion. I see the media uses the term "Nones" to describe people who tick the box "none" for religious preference, but would anyone actually call themselves a "none"?

2 comments:

Bink said...

The window looks great! Good job!

Fresca said...

Thanks, bink! I hope we can decorate some windows together in 2019.