Monday, September 17, 2018

How to Darn a Sock

I spent this morning photographing with Julia a "How to Darn a Sock" tutorial for the thrift store's Facebook page.

1. Gather your supplies: Some woven thing (sock, mitten, sweater) with a hole; yarn or thread to match (or contrast, for fun!); a needle with a big enough eye-hole; and something with a hard surface to put under the hole, like this white vase or a cup (or, properly, a darning egg.)


2. Put your hard surface inside your sock, under the hole, so you have something to sew against (besides your finger!).
Stitch around the hole---this provides a guide and an anchor.


3. Anchoring each stitch on the firm edge of the hole, draw the yarn across the hole.

4.  Use your needle to weave in and out, across the stitches you've just made. And that's it. You can leave the loose yarn ends dangling, or weave them in.


 

4 comments:

gz said...

can you still get the wooden darning mushrooms?

Frex said...

Yes! They are great, since they have a handle. I have two!
But I wanted to make this as "low-tech" as possible for the SVDP site--
all the tools you HAVE to have are a needle and thread.

The Crow said...

Clearly written, with great photos, Fresca! I'm going to pass this on to Kareema.

I've been patching holes in favorite T-shirts that are still too good to turn into rags. There is something so zen-like (as I understand that expression) about hand-sewing and darning activities.

The screen on my back door has a hole in it which lets in mosquitoes. I was thinking of using fine wire and large buttons to close the hole, then realized I had bought a large role of screen to repair a window screen in my workshop. I think, though, patching with fine wire and colorful buttons would make me happier.

I liked this post. Brought back memories of when I learned to darn. In my sewing supplies, somewhere, I have a wooden darning egg; must find it.

Fresca said...

CROW: Sorry I'm SLOW on responding--thanks for saying---I LOVE the idea of "darning" a screen! Why not! Spiders do it...

I absolutely agree hand-sewing is Zen like (meditative, mind-clearing).