Tuesday, August 7, 2018

Haruspex Stuffie Says, "Let It Go"

Communications have been kinda weird the past couple days--in this, that, and the other way––and then last night I got a condescending message from the Regional Marketing Director (whom I've never met) cautioning me about my FB postings. 

But the MD gave me legal information that was wrong: that we had to have written permission to post people's photos on FB.


It was like a missive from someone who'd studied Marketing in the 1980s and hadn't revised since. Color Me Beautiful.

I found the correct information ("no, we don't even need verbal permission in many cases, but I always get it, because I'm nice that way"--took me 30 seconds to google it), and emailed it back...

Aaaaand... right on cue, up popped my little angry friend, Resentful Bear!
I was SUPER annoyed half the night about this incompetent Marketing Director, who, I fumed to myself, I'm sure is not making minimum wage like I am.
 
Hey,  I should sew a Resentful Bear!

Brief break to report that yesterday I starting sewing the divination liver for Haruspex Sheep!

Here, at a nearby café >

Photo by Julia

The sheep's for a high school class on Roman Comedy, taught by a friend I met while studying Classics in college.

I decided to stitch modern symbols on it so the students could use it for their own divination purposes--
like those old Magic 8 balls.

(This liver here will be folded in half and stuffed.)

I could have asked the liver, "Should I send this snarky email to the Marketing Director?"

BIG SQUARE = Stop, no.


Luckily, I'd re-read my email before sending it and removed all snark.
(I think... It was hard to scrub all the lingering disdain stuck in the serifs of the "and's" and "the's".)

____________________________________________
It's interesting and helpful to try to observe myself as if I were a scientist: 
"Observe the adrenaline coursing through our subjects veins in response to a receiving misinformation from a marketing director--our subject is reacting as if she were under threat, and yet objectively there is none..."
Silver Lining:
I woke up thinking we should have a Social Media Policy. 

I'm the one doing 95% of the FB postings this summer, but it'd be great if others posted too. Having legal, ethical, and even marketing guidelines spelled out makes sense.

I wrote to the Marketing Director and asked if such a thing existed or if was in the works (as in, Maybe YOU are writing it?).
Ha.
As if.

Haruspex Sheep says, hit the "Forward" button and MOVE ON!

5 comments:

Frex said...

x

ArtSparker said...

Yeah well - frequently people get promoted to positions of authority because of impermeable self -'confidence rather than any other qualification. I like the part about the disdain of serifs.

bink said...

Ha! Good question to ask the MD about a Social Media Policy. Go ahead, MD, do some work!

That MD ought to GRATEFUL for all your postings and drumming up interest and business for the store! As if they were doing ANY work! Have we EVER seen any marketing for VdP before you started doing it? NO!!!

But good for you for removing the snark from your reply.

And if you did sew a Resentful Bear, I know it would be VERY CUTE, even if in a somewhat pouty or angry way.

Sandy Miller said...

oh for the love of SNARK! I always write one for myself and then one I need to respond with, with no Snark. I have drawer full of snark. I have occasionally gone back a read a couple snarks...... I can't even remember what I got myself in snark mode for but the SNARK was great and I high five-ed myself and closed the drawer. It doesn't make me feel any better after reading it but it did at the time of the Snark attack so I have labeled the file, " Stupid Stuff" for now and when I figure out why the need to have such a fat Snark file it will be a great day and I will burn the Snark files on the Solstice and be done, sending it back to the universe where all Snark will be gobbled up by some distant black hole and belch a long satisfying belch.......

Fresca said...

BINK: I never even heard back from the MD. She certainly did not say any positive thing about my social media work for the store, though I know it has brought in business (as well as created a bit of fun & connection--people tell me).
I don't know. Hopefully she's busy writing grants and we will benefit from her work by getting some of the many things we need, like signs, and shelves, and new linoleum--and a new refrigerator truck!

POTTER: Yay: I AM NOT ALONE!
of course I knew I wasn't but I love your reply---a drawer full of snark!
Ha!
Yes, let's release it into the universe to be spread so thin in a black hole it can do no harm anywhere!
Thanks for that.