Saturday, June 9, 2018

The Plans I Have

Plans for today at work:
Print and put up a couple booky images
Paint bookshelves

TO PRINT: 

1. From BuzzFeed's Nathan Pyle

2. John Cusak discovers his lost true-love's phone number in a book, in the [pretty terrible] movie Serendipity
(We have two copies of One Hundred Years of Solitude on the shelf, and a customer chatted with me about which book cover we liked best.)

I'm going to the paint store in a few minutes here, before work, to buy a pint(?) of red paint---spending my own $---to paint the shelves where I'm going to put the Young Adult novels.

I want to set them off somehow and thought that would be a fun way to do it. I chose red because that's the color of the Teens Wing at the downtown public library.

Books for "teens" have their own section at the thrift store, next to the little kids' books, which is in the other room from the adult books, which are in the store's back room. I'm going to leave there the middle-school books, like the Little House and the Goosebumps series.

But young-adult readers are looking for heavier fare and likely wouldn't even look there (I haven't noticed any sold this week, anyway). And those readers are old enough to also be reading adult books. Plenty of adults read Y/A too, like the Hunger Games series or books by Rainbow Rowell (I enjoyed her novel Fangirl a lot).

So I'm moving the Y/A books into the Adult Books room--hence the red shelves.

The kids books are not only in another room of the thrift store, they're not even near the door going into the back room.
(The adult books are right on the other side of that door.)

Yesterday I asked the boss if we could move the Kids Books next to the door that goes into the back room. He measured the space and said, Good idea! 
He may not read books, but he's great about taking action right away. I love that.

3 comments:

The Crow said...

It sounds as if you have found a good place to work, with people who appreciate your intelligence, your initiative and loyalty, among all your other attributes.

Well, about time, I say! And congratulations!

Anonymous said...

Crow--I agree that a good place to work has been found! I had the opportunity of having a boss like that but the organization did not appreciate either of us!

Red is a good eye-catching color especially across a room. It may also attract adults to the area who may books for their teens!
Kirsten

Frex said...

Thanks, CROW & KIRSTEN!