Thursday, December 7, 2017

Three Smalls

I'm restoring the face of this small (6 in. / 15 cm tall) stuffed animal.
What is it? 
It is itself!

I embroidered a replacement eye, and I rebuilt an ear, etc. 
This morning I'm putting that twist of wire back into the new ear, so it can bend.
(Because of toy work, I bought a wire cutter this past weekend.)


This face is 2 in. (5 cm) tall:

I think this was a carnival prize, probably from before the late-1950s when child-proof eyes came in and toy safety laws required them. Low-quality at the time, charming now.

This is my table this morning:

Yellow bear is probably another cheaply made carnival prize.
The black bear cub, left, which dried overnite on a spatula handle, was one of many (many) such bears sold at the Yellowstone Park gift shop in the 1960s. Also cheaply made, in Japan.

You can see it put a scrap from Art Sparker on its head while its ears dried on utensils beside it. (It's cold here: 9ºF (–12ºC) this morning.)

I'd washed its red plastic collar---sort of weird to me that they put collars on these wild bear toys---and then Marz dropped by and said just what I was thinking, that it didn't want the collar. 
So the collar went to be a belt for blue and white animal.
 
You can find lots on these Yellowstone souvenir bears online.
I paid $5 for this one, a bit much for one that was falling apart, but I like them falling apart, you know---then I get to rebuild them.

2 comments:

  1. You can always make a bear festoon with these little ones.

    ReplyDelete
  2. A bear festoon! That's hilarious, and not a bad idea...

    ReplyDelete