Sunday, October 1, 2017

October

It's raining and I have a head cold, but I'm going out with L&M in a little bit to an apple stand in the country (they pick their apples, you don't have to wander around in the rainy orchard).

I went to a second embroidery class yesterday.
I loved the teacher's "mod flowers" so much, I followed her instructions and didn't even modify her color choices:

The teacher's blog: Threads of Inspiration 
Her other patterns are cutesier---I was hoping for mid-century sci-fi rockets or something--guess I'll have to design those myself. 

Classes at the textile center are pretty expensive ($60+ for a three-hour class, plus a materials fee), but they've been great--well prepared, thorough, good material packets––not like cheaper but hit-or-miss community ed. 
The teacher yesterday had her BA in textiles--that interests me--the history, sociology, and science of textile design. I think that's what I'll be doing this month--looking into that more.

Also: more sewing in public.
It's interesting--if I'm alone, pretty much every time someone talks to me, and often tells me interesting things. (More on that later--I have to go.)

This is pretty much the same as a photo I posted a month ago of me sewing in public, but I want to post this one too because the sign in the background cracks me up. Here I'm working on elephants, last month, a lion.

Photo last week by happify--those are her cloth buttons on table.

2 comments:

margaret said...

you are the true animal hospital!

Fresca said...

M: You have made me very happy, saying so.