Thursday, August 31, 2017

Earth-tones

I went to the Textile Center last week to choose wool roving for my auntie to spin into yarn--she wanted earth tones, to knit a hat for her brother, my uncle.

Yesterday she sent me a photo of the roving I'd mailed her, on the floor on the right––(actually, it's batting--I am just learning a little of this wool jargon)––and of the spindle of yarn she has spun so far. 

I've asked for regular photo updates. 
I want to ask for a hat too! (She already spun and knit a pastel-colored hat for me. I think I'd like these colors even better.)

P.S. I wanted to add that the Craftivist movement I wrote about yesterday (when I first heard of it! and didn't know to say) isn't about taking up sewing as a hobby, anymore than non-violent resistance is about staying home so you don't hit anyone. 
It's about tactical, active plans for social change.

Sarah Corbett, founder, in her TEDx talk "The Art of Gentle Protest" describes organizing an activist group to use hand-embroidered messages on hankies to get Marks & Spencer to enter into talks on providing a living wage---amazingly (or maybe not), it worked!

No comments: