Friday, June 16, 2017

Resist! with Victor Hugo Tacos

Best side-benefit of my new job at the thrift store, so far:
in the Lutheran Church parking lot across the street is a food truck taqueria named for Victor Hugo.
"Best Mexican Tacos in the Twin Cities", it reads, and they are sooo good: made to order on the grill, garnished with freshly chopped cilantro and thinly sliced radishes--and only $2.50 each.

I went for veggie tacos and horchata before my orientation shift yesterday; while I waited I sketched the character painted on the truck:
They provide no info about Victor Hugo, and one online comment said, "named for the author of Hunchback of Notre Dame for no reason..."

It's like Google doesn't exist, for some people.

Poor Hugo, remembered for his Disneyfication. Though now I'm curious to watch the Disney Hunchback, based on some Tumblr confessions.

Of course there's also this sort of thing.
???
Well, I'll just have to watch the movie and see if Christianity comes off better than you'd expect.

I did not know the connection between Hugo & Cinco de Mayo. Here's a bit from the letter Hugo wrote after France invaded Mexico (because President Benito Juarez had declared a moratorium on foreign debt payments). 
Hugo was outraged at his country's actions, and he wrote:
People of Puebla
You are right in believing that I am with you
It is not France making war on you. It is the empire.
I am with you. You and I battle the empire. You in your homeland. I in exile.
Fight on, battle and be terrible, and if you think that my name can somewhat help you, use it. Aim at that man's head with the bullets of freedom.
Brave men of Mexico. Resist.
Resist they did--the Mexican army defeating the French army on May 5, 1862. The battle is celebrated in Mexico locally around Puebla but nationally in the United States every Fifth of May.

5 comments:

Bink said...

Now you made me curious to watch the Disney version too.

Frex said...

I sense a film night coming on . . . now with TACOS!

ArtSparker said...

OooOOOooo...cue Twilight Zone music...just contemplating tacos shortly to be onsumed (fish for me) motivation to leave apt also provided by my bellowing nieghbor upstairs, who is something called "a neurolinguistic practicioner", which seems to involve shout-talking authoritatively at people on the phone at intervals throughout the day. Speaking of serious jobs that one would prefer not to have.

Frex said...

SPARKER: I had to look up "neurolinguistic practicioner"
["Google! It's REAL!"] and read:
"NLP can treat problems such as phobias, depression, tic disorders, psychosomatic illnesses, near-sightedness, allergy, common cold, and learning disorders."

Near-sightedness???

Sounds like tacos are definitely in order... :)

Jenivix said...

Mmm, I love Disney's Hunchback!

I think the interesting thing about it re. Christianity is that it draws attention to people who believe/say they are Christian but act opposite, and people who ARE practising Christians in their everyday life. What is refreshing is that they do not just move against 'the church' and tar all clergy or representatives with the same brush, they say Here is the good priest who lives his faith, this person never says it, but lives his faith, and this person is agnostic but acts in a manner which outstrips the hypocrite who brands her a witch and who lusts after her.

On the other hand, the 'hypocrite' believes he is doing right, he is just a fallible man who falls and is overcome by his own desires and hatred.

I guess what I'm trying to say is, it isn't simple and doesn't try to draw simple lines, it's an interesting film (with great music!).