Wednesday, March 8, 2017

What's Up

What? Things are happening? In my life? 
Sort of.

First, my collage birthday party: laura b's carrot cake + paper & glue = good launch for 7 x 8
Me v in blue shirt, clapping:

At this party I announced I was looking for a job,
 and John S. (not pictured) invited me to come check out a classroom of  special-ed preschool kids at the school where he works--they're looking for an aide until the end of the school year, and based on my work with adults with dementia, I'd be a good fit, he thought.

I just now got home from an afternoon with the kids, and it was...  full of stories. I'm not supposed to tell stories about the kids, of course, but I can say one of them leaned close to me and whispered, "What are you doing here?"
Which struck me as a pretty darn brilliant question.

Also I can say that small children move more in two hours than I have moved in two months, and I want this job if only so I will start moving again.

Meanwhile, the editor did a bang-up job on my ms, returning it with lots of good ideas for making it better. 
So there's a week or two's worth of work there.
I do think the final book is going to be fun.

Speaking of fun, I'm taking a 4-week community ed class with bink: 
"Funny Up: Adding Humor to Your Writing".

I am wary. Humor and I have a mutually suspicious relationship:

I think it's manipulative, and it thinks I'm trying to analyze & explain it out of existence. 
Both are correct.

For the second class tonite, we're supposed to think of a favorite funny thing and why it's funny, what the mechanics of its humor are. 
I immediately thought of Gene Wilder's attack of hysterics in the Producers.  [links to vid in NTY]

I'm surprised how little I've thought about humor. 
The teacher talked on the first night about what it is (like, basically, it's surprise--the breaking of a norm: like chess, it has simple rules and infinite variations). I could tell that she was giving us the party line, but I'd never even heard it.

Anyway, I love that scene because it's actually very kind, at root--Zero Mostel only smiles to get Gene Wilder to shut up, but you know what? It works. For both of them.

2 comments:

ArtSparker said...

Hope you get to work with the kids. I find humor is helpful in coping. Maybe you find it manipulative because it is a way asserting control - over circumstances if you are using it to cope.

Fresca said...

I liked my afternoon with the kids, but the teacher said afterward they want someone with experience with kids.
(Though she'd agreed to have me come visit knowing I didn't have experience: I wonder if she thought I was too old to handle their physical activity. Or maybe she just didn't like how I was with them? Who knows.)

Yes, I don't like feeling manipulated by a certain kind of humor---like a certain kind of stand-up comic who seems to NEED to MAKE you laugh.
[Not sure about all this--must think more on it.]
But like you, I TOTALLY find humor helpful in coping--
maybe especially the kind that points out absurdity.