Tuesday, November 8, 2016

You Go, Girl (Queen)

Two girls in neon vests ushered me across the street by the grade school, on my way to the coffee shop this morning. They looked about... eleven? One was a Somali girl wearing a hijab and sparkley tennis shoes, the other a white girl in a bright pink hoodie. 

"Who should I vote for?" I asked them.

They hesitated, looking thoughtful, and one said, "You should probably vote for…" and they both said, "Hillary." 

And from across the street, two other guards called out, "Hillary!"

I gave them two thumbs up, and they cheered.
What a great start to Election Day! 

On the sidewalk near the park building where people vote, someone had chalked YOU GO, GIRL! (even with a comma).

I ran into a neighbor wearing her red I Voted sticker.  She told me she's listening to "nasty women" music all day. She'd asked FB friends for suggestions.

I suggested Queen Latifah's "U.N.I.T.Y." (Who you calling a bitch?)".
She said she'd add that to her list, and read me the others from her phone. One was Janelle Monae's "Queen."

"All these queens," I said. "You could listen to Queen, too. Like my favorite, 'Fat Bottom Girls!'––for Hillary and her pantsuits! 'Get on your bikes and ride!''"

"I'm down with that," she said. 


Got to the coffee shop and the barista was playing Joni Mitchell's album Blue.

Tumblr on Hillary's pantsuits:






"I am on a lonely road and I am traveling
Traveling, traveling, traveling
Looking for something, what can it be
Oh I hate you some, I hate you some
I love you some


All I really really want our love to do
Is to bring out the best in me and in you."

2 comments:

ArtSparker said...

Where do we go from here? Anyway...just checking in, I don't expect you to answer that.

Fresca said...

Hi, Sparker.

When it became clear Trump would probably win, around midnight here, I actually went out with Marz to play pinball at a crummy local bar until 2 a.m.
Talked to random people who expressed every view possible (from a guy wearing Trump T-shirt underneath a zipped up jacket to a couple who didn't vote because, "It's all bullshit"...).

For me, what I want to do is make more art, honestly.
I truly believe this is important and helpful.