Thursday, November 3, 2016

Wonders

*sigh of relief*
So, so much better now.
Talking to people about the election was dabbling in despair. What was I thinking?

I am not (not.) suited to politics, but I did want to do something extra civic minded (besides leaving paisleys around, though that too), so, after many months away, this afternoon I went back and finished my article-in-draft about a woman artist, which was sitting in my Wikipedia sandbox (a person's trial-composition page).

If you're a newbie, especially, you submit your draft to an anonymous reviewer, but I contacted an editor who'd befriended me on my first edit (Catherine Beecher's Opposition to the Indian Removal Bill) and asked her if she'd take a look at it first. 

She wrote back immediately (I think she's in Singapore? ... thirteen hours ahead, so 8:15 a.m. there), saying she'd be happy to. 
I felt plugged into goodness again and restored to soundness of mind.

Wikipedia is something of an inheritor of those 17th century Wunderkammer, or Cabinets of Wonders, which was like a 3D encyclopedia of artifacts and specimens.
"The Kunstkammer was regarded as a microcosm or theater of the world, and a memory theater," says Renaissance Quarterly.

A memory theater!  

In 2014, Viktor Wynd opened a modern version--he raised the money on Kickstarter: the Viktor Wynd Museum of Curiosities, Fine Art and Natural History:

No comments: