Thursday, October 20, 2016

Father and Son: Autism Video

I want to clarify that the essay I mentioned yesterday, "Welcome to Beirut", by a mother of a son with severe autism, is about her reaction to the initial diagnosis, not her take on the entire experience. 

For a view further down the road, let me add this 2 min. 50 sec. video--can't embed it, but it's worth hopping over here:
"Bill Davis and Son, Chris: Autism" 

"The father of a severely autistic high-schooler talks about the joys and pains of raising his son.

"Chris was born with a long list of disorders. His diagnosis, “one of the worst ever,” included  swollen intestines, neurological damage, mental retardation, self-injury, and severe autism.

His father, Bill, relates, “Chris did not communicate. He did not sit down. He didn’t put on clothes. He wouldn’t go outside. He ate the walls. He ate the table. He ate the rug… It was a 24-hour-a-day job.
It changed my life completely. Put me in another direction. I was able to love unconditionally.
I never thought of him as this poor, broken human being that we need to cure. He’s not sick.”

No comments: