Tuesday, July 7, 2015

What I'm Reading

Molly Ivins: A Rebel Life, a biography by Bill Minutaglio & W. Michael Smith (2009)

I've often missed Molly Ivins's barbecued political writings, after she died in 2007, though there was such a long stretch there of nothing but bad news––wars, more wars, lies, and more lies––I wondered if even she could find humor in it. Probably she could have--that's what she did.

Much of what she said still applies, anyway.
Like, 
"Next time I tell you someone from Texas should not be president of the United States, please pay attention."
(Unlike his brother, Jeb! was even born in Texas.)

And unfortunately she was as correct as I'd feared she be at predicting the future of the wars--here, in 2003:
"I opposed the war in Iraq because I thought it would lead to the peace from hell...."
Unfortunately, she was wrong about Obama:
"Yes, he should run. He's the only Democrat with any Elvis to him."
I always saw Spock, not Elvis. (Kirk is Elvis.)

Much of my reading is serendipitous, and when I saw this bio of Ivins where I was house sitting, I was interested, since I knew nothing about her life. I hadn't even realized she suffered with alcoholism, badly, or that she had written for the Minneapolis Tribune newspaper when she was young and lived on Pillsbury Ave, which is half-a-block from me! 

Overall, reading Ivins is better than reading about her, but she's an inspiring outspoken woman, either way. 

I am inspired this morning to Wash and Paint My Kitchen Walls, which I have not done in a dozen years. 

Normally July has the worst weather for painting, the year's highest heat and humidity, but we're having a very weird cold front: 
this morning it is only 61ºF (16ºC) and due to rise only to 72º. 

So, up I go, onto the ladder, sponge in hand! 

No comments: