Monday, October 22, 2012

Video Camera Shopping

[Notes on my research into starting a home video business... or, more artistically speaking, on becoming a filmmaker.]

Sigh.

I went to my first Cinematography class this weekend, and the teacher confirmed that my video camcorder is "obsolete". 
(It's a Canon HV20 tape-based camcorder, new in 2007.)
I might work with it anyway, but it has developed a hiss. 

So I am researching cameras.
I can immediately see how much better the new DSLR (digital single lens reflex) cameras are:
their digital sensors are as large as those in film movie cameras, so the images are A#1 fantastic.

Downside: they are still-photo cameras with video capability, 
and so they only film continuously for 15-some minutes, then the camera takes a break (to cool off?). 

Not great for long interviews, which is what I intend to do. 
But video camcorders (that shoot for hours on end) don't offer the fantastic image quality.

"That's so frustrating!" I said.

"YOU think it's frustrating!" the teacher replied. 
He's a professional video-maker, and he had to buy all new equipment to keep up.

And all the cameras--plus all their gadgets (audio, lenses, lights)--are expensive.
I think I will RENT pro equipment before I buy anything... I just joined IFP (Independent Filmmakers Project, Center for Media Arts), and they rent pro video cameras (that cost thousands of dollars) for around $125 for a whole weekend.

I'll just have to be creative to work around the limitations--this is a secret of life anyway, eh?--adaptability.

No comments: