Monday, March 2, 2009

My Happy Dance

As Lester Bangs says, there's more to life than desolation, hurt, and anguish, and this vid of Stephen Colbert dancing proves it. Or, I should say, "Stephen Colbert," "dancing." Watching this--or even thinking about it--makes me break into my very own version of the Snoopy Dance of Joy.

"Stephen Colbert: I Don't Feel Like Dancin'" (song by Scissor Sisters)


Thanks to Jen, who introduced me to Colbert with her post about his Christmas song, this past Christmas (2008).
I'm a late adopter. Since then he has become my latest hero, for his speech at the White House Correspondents' Dinner [links to the whole 24 minute speech]. Yes, it was three years ago, but it still astonishes. It reminds me of Jesus throwing the moneychangers out of the Temple. But funnier. Jesus obviously had a great sense of humor, and I bet he was willing to do silly dances with his friends, but the moneychangers wasn't a funny incident. (It's actually a reading for Lent this year.) Of course, Colbert's speech wasn't exactly funny either, it was cutting condemnation, which is why note everyone in the audience laughed. Especially not the president.

No comments: