Friday, May 23, 2008

The Heidi List, Part I


As a barista, Heidi (above) plays Frank Sinatra at 7 a.m., which I adore.
She's also a dj (clubs, not top 40), and when I asked her to recommend some contemporary music, she said, "I don't really play easy listening..."
But the list of musicians/groups she gave me is pretty friendly stuff.

I've started to work through the list, choosing one song I like from youTube for each musician/group.
(I'm just giving the links here because I had snarly stuff happen with embedding videos, and it's just about as easy to click on the link anyway.)
Here's my first batch:

Belgian group Hooverphonic's "Mad About You" video about a woman crazy for a cabbage lobster--sort of a sexy romantic Little Shop of Horrors.

Kid Sister's "Pro Nails" video, with Kanye West.
"She got her toes done up, with fingernails matching."
This is what I'm doing Monday with Sister!--though hardly as pro.

The Cat Empire "Days Like These"
Australian reggae rock world beat pop jazz.
I want this summer!

M.I.A. "Paper Planes".
Catchy song about political/immigration stuff by Mathangi "Maya" [MIA] Arulpragasam, a Brit from Sri Lanka in Brooklyn.

Goldfrapp "Strict Machine"
Reminds me of when I was little, staring at the fold-out double-album cover of Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Heart's Club Band, set to an electronic beat. Peter Max posters?

Dynamic Syncopation "The Plan"
The inset ASL interpreter breaking down (around 1:56) is something I've always wanted to see.

No comments: