Thursday, March 13, 2008

Blue-Sky Holiday


I'm working at home, for once, where I don't have Internet, because it distracts me too much. When I took a break for lunch, I laughed to see what a jumble my table is. You can click on the photo to see better what all's in there.

I only turned on my laptop this morning in order to listen to Daniel Powter's "Bad Day" while I worked, over and over again. Now I am taking a break and sitting on my outdoor landing, where I can pick up (steal? is it stealing?) a neighbor's wifi, with the song still playing.
It's definitely a "blue-sky holiday" kind of day that Powter sings about. It's sunny and about 50 degrees. (Last week we had below zero windchills.) I have on a heavy sweater, but in the sun, I'm only a little chilly.

But, then, my entire life has been a blue-sky holiday in recent months, as I finally shake off the last of the zombiedom that came upon me after my mother's suicide (Dec. 2002).
This extrememly upbeat pop song sums up many of those "bad" days--years, even.
Here are some of the lyrics (not necessarily in order):

You had a bad day,
You're taking one down;
You sing a sad song just to turn it around,
You stand in the line just to hit a new low,
You're faking a smile with your coffee to go...

Sometimes the system goes on the blink,
and the whole thing turns out wrong.
You need a blue-sky holiday...

Sometimes pop songs get it just right. My temperament is so naturally cheerful that many people have told me I seemed "fine" over the past five years. I was fine enough; but quite a lot of the time, I was on automatic pilot.

OK, back to work.

No comments: