Tuesday, March 4, 2008

Uhura's Panache

... Not to say I never relate to the female characters on Star Trek. I want to be like Uhura--(usually limited to saying, "Hailing frequencies open, Captain")--as she is in "Mirror, Mirror," right.

In this episode, one of my favorites, a transporter malfunction delivers Kirk, Uhura, McCoy, and Scotty to an alternate universe, in which the entire crew of the Enterprise is predatory and power hungry and wears far sexier uniforms.

Our little group gathers in secret outside the transporter room, and Kirk asks Uhura to go to the bridge by herself to check the log and find out what caused the glitch. There, she faces down her barbaric bridgemates with a very convincing show of cool confidence and knifeplay. I like her style, and I like it even better for having seen her confess to Kirk beforehand that she is frightened.

It's the bravery of these characters I aspire to, and you're not brave if you're not scared.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I think you should say something about how Uhura can be brave AND sexy at the same time. I just love her hip-hugging skirt/sash thing, which reveals her tight tummy!