Thursday, August 24, 2017

Words I Can't Stand (Do You Have Some?)



[^ Edward Gorey, you know---never a wrong word]

I was talking to Michael in a comment on his blog post "Zillions" about words that make you shudder.

He also posted about certain words here:  
"Words I can live without".

I don't know why, but I just cringe at the word munch.
I guess it's partly the usage, not just the sound---it sounds like cutesy advertising to me. But it's also the sound, even when it's written, it makes me want to scream! 

I don't mind crunch though. Hm, maybe a little I do. 
Let's see. 
"She crunched on an apple"? 
Yeah, this annoys me. But nowhere near as much as munch.
Weird.

Sometimes it's the sound + the meaning.
I remember film director Mike Nichols hated the word smegma.

Words for slimy things sometimes sound icky themselves.
Michael volunteered mucilage. [I originally spelled this "muscilage", which Michael commented would be a good name for really strong glue. Heh, yes: "For Muscular Jobs".]

And there's also the squicky mucilaginous.
And yet I don't mind the word slime... or even slime mold.

But moist
That tips toward icky again.

Some neologisms just drive me nuts. Some are really clever (can't think of an example!), or fun or generally nonannoying to me.
Hm... this is a newer usage, not a new word, but, like, I like using like (like there). (Is that a Valley Girlism? Too much of it can get annoying, but whatever.)

But I hate staycation and gi-normous.

Staycation also has a meaning I dislike: 
it implies the normal thing to do when you have time off is to travel. You only stay home because you can't afford to go to Disneyland or something. This is an American view of life I dislike: that it's better to be in motion than at rest, and it's more prestigious or valuable to do things or have things that cost money than not.

[The departed commenter who defended the Confederate statues used in their defense that "someone paid good money" for them. The commenter was English, but this is a common US pov too.]


Sometimes it's the usage of a word that annoys.
I don't mind most grammar variations, but for some reason I cringe when I hear "I" and "me" mixed up, as in,
"Come along with Mikey and I."

(Tip I learned from an English teacher
when I was a kid
To decide whether to use "I" or "me," take the other person's name out of the sentence. You wouldn't say, "Come along with I.")

An innocent variation that grates on my ears:
"Anyways" for anyway.


It also bugged me when I lived in Chicago and heard people commonly pronounce Illinois as Illi-noise
But they were natives! So it was a correct usage (following the rule that people who live in a place get to call it whatever they want--ditto for personal names---once someone told me I capitalized my Italian last name wrong, and I wanted to punch her). I just had to accept it. BUT I DIDN'T LIKE IT.

Sometimes it's the rules of grammar that annoy me.
I don't hold with the rule against split infinitives, for instance, where you aren't supposed to put a descriptive word between the "to" and the verb.
This is a useless holdout from Latin.
Like, following that rule, Star Trek's "to boldly go" [where no man has gone before] is wrong:
"to go" shouldn't get a word in between "to" and "go". But who cares? In fact, often an adverb works best tucked inside the infinitive like that.

So I sometimes feel resentful if someone too blatantly avoids split infinitives or corrects them, like "to go boldly," with an air as if they feel morally superior for not splitting infinitives. [I confess I am thinking of a certain someone I used to know.]

And that gets at a thing about language:

Some of this is far more about class than about right and wrong, grating or graceful usages. Grammar as a social gatekeeper. 
Granted, sometimes there are too many words inserted after "to," and you get lost before you get to the rest of the verb, but that's just bad writing.

Nonetheless, however you munch and crunch it, some words are just icky!!!

Do you have any words that bug you?

10 comments:

Frex said...

Hm. Looked it up and found:
"Note: The word "to" is not a preposition. It is often called the sign of the infinitive."

So I guess in the phrase "to boldly go", "to" is the sign of the infinitive verb "go"---and "boldly" is the adverb?
I think?

Michael Leddy said...

I am so linking to this post.

“To” can also be called a particle (a term I’ve come to think of as a catch-all for anything in language that’s small and baffling).

Garner’s Modern English Usage calls “Illinoise” a mispronunciation. But yes, people in this state do use it (more upstate than down, I think). Come on — feel the Illinoise! (That’s from Sufjan Stevens.)

I like the weird 1940s poster that encourages vacationing at home, but nothing can redeem the word “staycation.” I shy away from “ginormous” partly because it brings up (for me anyway) the same problem as “GIF,” always a slight hesitation about how to pronounce it. But more because it sounds like the breezy, hyped-up language of some of the more popular websites: “Make a ginormous white board on an itsy-bitsy budget” (a genuine example).

Fresca said...

MICHAEL Sujan Stevens uses Illinoise?
I drop all objections!

Great poster! I will blog it.

"Breezy, hyped-up language" is a great way of describing language I dislike, especially when used by marketers.
Oddly (?), I think "munch" is sort of in that category---unnecessarily jolly and faux-friendly!

I always said GIF with a hard G, though you know the founder said it's a soft G, but I don't care--and people still debate it.

"Ginormous" I always said like "gee," since its a portmanteau of "gigantic = enormous." But, yeah, there's that puzzlement...

This is such fun stuff to think about. Thanks for suggesting it.

Frex said...

I asked my friend Maura and she instantly said,
Phlegm!

Stefan said...

So much to respond to here (so thanks, Michael, for the link): Your comment about living in Chicago made me think of a city bus driver's phonetic pronunciation of "Goethe" (Go-Thee) that I once heard (but how nice that Chicago has a street named after Goethe), and I'm interested in the surprisingly common dislike for "moist." A friend in grad school had an almost viscerally negative response to this word, and when I ask a class about favorite and hated words, "moist" always comes up as an example of the latter. I wonder what that's about.

My least favorite word, and I'm not sure if this is about its sound or my personality, is "obey." I remember as a child being barely able to get it out, and 45 years later, I still cringe when Polonius demands that Ophelia dump Hamlet: though it is breaking her heart, she responds only: "I shall obey." Sigh.

Thanks for the great post.

Fresca said...

STEFAN: Thanks for your good comment!
"Go-Thee", heh, I like that: it's just how the word looks. (I miss Chicago.)

Certain words are known to be disliked--such as moist, which turns up on lists (I went looking)––I wonder if that publicity skews people's perception.
Still, the word IS kind of slimy feeling, which is why it turns up on the lists.

It's hard for me to separate sound from meaning.
Obey sounds scary to me too---but what if it meant, say, "cinnamon"?

But it doesn't!

On the other hand, I dislike the sound of chocolate, though I like the food.
Said in a certain British accent that accentuates the syllables, it's even worse---I cringed whenever they said it on The Great British Bake-Off, which was often.



Michael Leddy said...

When I was a teenager, I said “gothe” (rhymes with “both”). For the writer, not the street.

The food talk has made me think of two words three words I can’t stand: luscious, scrumptious, and, when applied to anything other than food, delicious. “So-and-so serves up a delicious comedy of manners,” blah blah blah.

Fresca said...

MICHAEL Fresh, for "new and innovative", irks me.
I liked it the first time I heard it, so it may just be overuse that makes me dislike it--it's stale. Still, there's something about those slippery S- and sh-sounds that can be either nice (luscious in the good sense) or very not-nice.

I'm sure some expert article explains this all, but I'm having fun thinking about it without the help.

Daughter Number Three said...

I am beginning to hate the word "heal," especially in nonmedical contexts.

Other terms I have been disliking for much longer fit into the puffery category that others have mentioned. I think of them as Realtor® words: aplenty, nestled, galore, abound, amidst, a host of, a wealth of.

Oh, and I hate the word "simply." Here's something I wrote about that a few years ago.

Oh, oh, and "enhance" and "opine."

Frex said...

DAUGHTER: Thanks for commenting--so fun!

"Realtor® words"?
HAahahah: That's BRILLIANT!!!
It gets what they are soooo well.
That really cracks me up. These bloated words show up on menus too.

"Nestled" is somehow creepy to me--I never liked it---feels predatory, though it should be friendly.

Thanks for linking to "simply"---some of those examples were hilarious.
--Fresca