Monday, April 27, 2009

Star Trek & Sixties Design, 1: Kinky Boots

>
[See also Star Trek men's boots, here.]

I'd love to see a book, website, or museum show that compared and contrasted classic Star Trek design with the look of its era, the Sixties. Does such a thing exist? Should I compile it myself?
This music video, for instance, Nancy Sinatra: These Boots Are Made for Walking, was made in 1966, the same year Star Trek first aired.
Nancy Sinatra: These Boots Are Made for Walking

I went looking for full-length images of Star Trek women in their short red and blue outfits and mid-calf boots, but they are surprisingly hard to find. I did find this great shot of Uhura, [below, right], in the kinky outfit and thigh-high boots of the parallel universe in 1967's "Mirror, Mirror" episode, disarming Marlena, the "captain's woman."

Below, left: shot from Nancy Sinatra's "These Boots Are Made for Walking" video, 1966


___________________________

The star enters in a sparkly top. [LEFT: Nancy Sinatra, RIGHT: William Shatner]















___________________________________________________
In looking for pix of the women's regular uniforms, I was struck by this one, below, where the captain and the communications officer mirror each other's poses.
(I can hardly wait to see if Chris Pine's Kirk ever sits and runs like a girl too. Somehow I expect not.
[June 2009 NOTE: Yes, he does! At the very end, Pine pays a wonderful tribute to Shatner's body language by assuming his cross-legged pose in the captain's chair, though crossing the opposite leg. Well done.])


_____________
And finally, I couldn't resist this parting shot of Dr. Helen Noel and Kirk, walking out of the captain's quarters, from "Dagger of the Mind" (title courtesy Shakespeare). It has intriguing (to me) elements--a glimpse of the skirts' construction; Kirk's beautiful back, and the potted corn plant, a favorite of low-light corporate settings even, it seems, in the 23rd century (Mrs. Conclusion first drew Kirk's potted plants to my attention).


[Thanks, as always, to Trekcore.com for the Star Trek screencaps.]

5 comments:

bink said...

I totally think you could do a really fun book on Star Trek and 1960's design. I'd help!

Fresca said...

OK, you're signed on! Having spent several hours on this now, I do think it'd make a gorgeous glossy book.

momo said...

And notice that the rear end shot is not some hardbody skinny chick, but someone who has some meat on her thighs! Rock on!

Fresca said...

Yes, interesting to track how ideals change---the women on Star Trek are generally slim, of course, but not emaciated, and sometimes even carrying a bit of meat, as you say! : ) Uhura is no sylph either.

STW said...

Very nice post. I like it.