Tuesday, March 6, 2018

Neruda from Barrett (2009) & The Proust Questionaire: Who do you admire?

Barrett & Neruda

Looking back through old birthday posts, I found Barrett had sent me a Neruda quote on my 48th birthday in 2009--in a comment (on a post in which I answer the Proust Questionaire*).

Barrett died two years later, and I like coming across her, here and there, in old blog comments.

I always loved the line "You have the weight of a golden vegetable." It's from Poem XV of Pablo Neruda's 100 Love Sonnets



*The Proust Q
Here are the first 8 of my answers to the Proust Q from 2009: the linked post includes the bare list of all 35 questions, if you want to answer them. 

I'd answer many of them differently now.
But I still like birthdays, and presents, and good conversation (anywhere) makes me happy.
Some answers I'd change:

I'm no longer afraid of being stuck talking about furniture! 

Now I like talking about material design and things. But getting stuck talking to people who can ONLY talk about mundane things is still a frightening prospect.

I'm not so good at self-doubt either, and I don't buy over-designed toothbrushes anymore--I get whatever new brushes I find cheap at thrift stores....

Unwarranted "overweening self-confidence": that's Trump!
But it's not the trait I would now say I most deplore. 

That would be--let's see--a tendency to humiliate others (not unrelated––Trump does that too–– but different).

Which Living Person Do You Most Admire?

Right now, today, the people I am most admiring are the students from Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School who are calling for gun control, such as, below left, Emma González ("We call BS!")––"a  senior whose face has since become a symbol for this exploding youth-led political campaign".
--Atlantic article "The Florida Parkland Students Aren't Going Away"
Emma Gonzalez ^ : "Dana Loesch, I want you to know that we will support your two children in the way that ...you will not."
--"Transcript Of Emma Gonzalez & Dana Loesch Talking About The NRA", at Bustle


From a couple years ago (2016), I admire Ieshia Evans, below, and the many (usually anonymous) people like her in Black Lives Matter, and, generally, anytime, anywhere, people who face their fears and take a stand (usually unrecorded), whether it be minuscule or massive, public or private. 

How 'bout you?

Photo and Evans's statement from another Atlantic article:

And the year before that (2015), Bree Newsome, who climbed the SC Courthouse flagpole to remove the Confederate Flag.

I'll be joining the Parkland student-organized March for Our Lives on March 24 "to demand that their lives and safety become a priority and that we end this epidemic of mass school shootings."
Not in Washington, D.C.--we have a sister march here in town. 

Hm... must think of a poster to make, like the Spock one I made for last year's March for Science.

No comments: