Wednesday, January 31, 2018

Getting to What with eBay

My day of plenty hath runneth over: 
I just got an official email from eBay that is so funny, it's almost as if they intended it that way.
The email is to inform users that eBay is setting up a "new payments experience by intermediating payments on our Marketplace platform".

I think this means eBay is going to start handling payments themselves, rather than farming them out to PayPal--their current "primary payments processing partner". 
This changeover is going to be a "multi-year journey".

The language reminds me of the British comedy W1A, a sendup of the BBC. It's full of wonderful gibberish, such as their invention, The Department of Better.

The email from eBay ends with this beautiful line:
"We’re looking forward to what’s next, and to getting there with you."

2 comments:

gz said...

etsy is pushing for payments to be made direct to banks instead of paypal...what are they all playing at..or do they think we're all money laundering/evading tax by using paypal?

Frex said...

Huh, I wonder what's going on...
There must be some big back-story of Economic Importance to all of this.
I bet Etsy's prose is more polished than eBay's. I must say, though, I do LOVE all the various writing styles on eBay.