Wednesday, November 15, 2017

Flying Monkey Repair, II: "things go round and again go round"

In a comment on this morning's "Flying Monkey Repair" post, Art Sparker quoted Wallace Stevens' poem "The Pleasures of Merely Circulating":  
"The garden flew round with the angel"...

The poem also asks, "Is there any secret in skulls?"

Yes, yes there is.
As I was repairing Monkey's head from the inside (below), I was thinking of how much work some humans put into
1) designing this creature, and 
2) constructing the many, futzy little pieces of it--its little ears alone would defeat me.


I've always thought of stuffed animal rescue in terms of benefiting the toy and its once and future owners, (and my own psyche), but today all of a sudden I saw it also honors the care and skill of its makers. (Not reflected it its price: brand new, this toy costs $5.72 at Walmart.)

Art Sparker also suggested I leave Monkey's eyes as they were, but I'd already sewn on an old glass replacement button, and a new button nose too.
Its original eyes and nose were plastic childproof ones, but I guess "childproof" doesn't mean you can run it over with a car, and they had broken, leaving a sharp plastic shaft.

Monkey is whole again (mostly), and I'm almost done making a felt vest modeled on the Wizard of Oz flying monkeys.

I'm getting cranky from hunger though, so I'm taking a break to go out for a hamburger and beer now.

4 comments:

ArtSparker said...

Beautiful work. I am okay with the eye, not everything has to be wonky (so mature!).

The Crow said...

His new face looks less frightening (to the 6-year-old me inside) than when I saw the Wizard of Oz the first time.

You have a true talent and skill for this sort of rescue work, Fresca. The toys you rescue are very lucky to be in your gifted hands.

bink said...

So cute! He's a flying champ/chimp!

It's true what you say about honoring the workers. I would feel very good if I had made this toy to have it be rescued and loved.

Fresca said...

SPARKER: Oh, good, but if you could see it close up, you would see it's still a plenty, plenty wonky monkey.

CROW: I had to re-stitch the mouth and I made it slightly smiley too. My sewing skills are pretty poor, but thanks, I do think the toys and I do well together. :)

BINK: You can meet Monkey in person and he will fly for you!
Thanks for imagining the original maker feeling good about the fate of this toy.