Monday, October 2, 2017

Color Schemes (Textiles)

I'm starting to keep track of textile designs & colors that catch my eye.
There are many, of course---here are a couple I love a lot (and one that confuses me). They could almost go together, thought they're centuries apart--the horse could be running through ferns... (Though what's going on with the Christmas tree thingie, I do not know.)

1. Fragment, Coptic Egypt, Roman period (30 B.C.- 641 A.D.)/Arab period (641-969), 6th/8th century CE, Art Inst of Chicago


2. From a teaching-aid folder produced by the Needlework Development Scheme, UK, 1956, "illustrating various ways in which embroidery stitches could be used and designs interpreted."

3. And, what's this
"Man in Blue Boots Attacks a Christmas Tree"???
Another Coptic fragment at the AIC, which gives no further info than that it's from the same 6th/8th century CE era as the horse:

1 comment:

bink said...

I LOVE that horse so much! I want that embroidered on something, anything!

And the man in the blue boots is obviously killing--not a Christmas tree, or the spirit of Christmas--but a space alien with 3 eyes who has tried to disguise herself as a Christmas tree.