Friday, September 22, 2017

UPDATE: my first napkins

UPDATE: The second two-sided Star Trek napkin I sewed:

Original post from 9/19:
I couldn't embroider today after all, because I burned my finger on the coffee pot (oh, the drama), so I decided to make two-sided napkins on the sewing machine, pairing some of my cotton scraps (mostly from Steeple People) with the Star Trek fabric Dr H sent me recently.

Here's the first one, which took me for-bloody-ever. (OK, just two hours, but that's more than I expected for something so seemingly [seemingly] simple.)

 I didn't realize how futzy it would be to turn under and iron each edge down and to match the two sides up... But the result makes me happy. I only had enough of this particular backing fabric for one napkin, so the others will all be different.

3 comments:

bink said...

Love it!!!

ArtSparker said...

F., you can put wrong side to wrong side, leaving an unsewed slot in the middle of one side, then turn them inside out and iron them flat before topstitching. You will want to clip the corners across so that the fabric doesn't bunch up when they are turned right side out. Use a paper square to pin to the each piece of fabric so you can cut each out to match.

Frex said...

BINK: Thanks!

SPARKER: And thank you!
I was worried about a double row of stitching making the napkins bulky, but your way is going to be my way, for speed and accuracy.