Wednesday, August 23, 2017

Dad & Dog (Pop & Bop)

It's funny how we take against certain words, isn't it? 
My father hated being called Dad, or even referred to as a dad.  I think he thought it was a tacky Americanism, and he wanted to appear ... cultured, I guess, to distance himself from the poverty of his childhood.
We called him by his first name, Daniele.

But "Dad & Dog" sounds good to me, and I'm using it.

This is one of my favorite photos of my father. He's with Bop, the dog Lucinda and I got as a puppy when we lived in Chicago in the late-1980s, when Lucinda was getting her MFA in painting.

Hm. I could have called this Pop 'n' Bop.

(I call Lucinda bink now, but back then she had a different nickname, which she didn't much like so I won't mention it here*---anyway, that's why I call her Lucinda here---also, when she's being an artist, I think of her that way.) 


*But I will here. It was Babs. I loved it, but she didn't.

2 comments:

bink said...

No...no..no...no Babs. It went with Biff, if you recall.

Bop yes! What a dog! No one could bounce a ball quite like him!

Dad and dog...good.


Fresca said...

Babs & Biff! Happy days...