Friday, July 15, 2016

What I'm Reading

I'm way behind in recording what I'm reading this year---largely because most of what I'm reading is all over the place, online. 

Here're some books I've read recently:



My favorite:
A Sense of Direction: Pilgrimage for the Restless and Hopeful, Gideon Lewis -Kraus (2012)
Maybe the best thing I've read on the reality of walking the Camino: "hunting for clarity while nursing blistered feet."

Thanks, Susan, for sending this to me!
---------
Read a bunch of YA novels, including The Perks of Being a Wallflower and Clockwork Angel. They are OK, but tend to sound all the same. I am not, of course, the intended audience. 

I think I'd have liked them when I was a young teenager--I'd have wanted to read "it gets better" stories. After all, I liked gothic romances at that age too, which are kind of the same: plain, powerless, but plucky girl survives damp castle.
--------
The Narrow Door: A Memoir of Frienship, by Paul Lisicky, on the other hand, reaches too hard for originality. 
Description of dinner from page 1:
"Our feet are warm. Our faces shine. The room is getting dark, the night coming a little sooner these days...
The chicken stew on the trivet. The moist leaves in the hard black bowl. The macaroni and cheese still bubbling..."

It sounds ominous, like a group of people about to break out in buboes...

(Moist leaves?)
-----------

Young Merlin by Jane Yolen stood out for its original but unintrusive writing. I'd have liked the YA novels, but I'd have loved this kids' book.

Jane Gardam is one of my favorite novelists--Bilgewater is not her best though. I recommend Crusoe's Daughter and the ickily named but excellent Old Filth series. (FILTH = Failed In London, Try Hong Kong)

World War Z was a re-read, and better on second reading because I wasn't rushing to see what happens.

Red Bear read it on the sly. She had been warned!


Geek Feminist Revolution and Caped Crusader: Batman and the Rise of Nerd Culture are books I picked up for fandom research and loved so much I bought copies of them. 

No comments: