Saturday, April 2, 2016

Fandom Round-Up

I should write something funny & insightful about fandom, but for now I am just going to post some images here (partly just to clear my desktop!).

ABOVE: Michael at OCA sent me this xkcd comic ^ from 2011.
The alt-text says Strunk/White slash is "virtually guaranteed to be well written."  Funny comments (and stabs at S/W slash) here: Language Log

BELOW: Comic artist Stephen Byrne illustrates one reason creators might make fanworks (like his Star Wars 7.5. comic) rather than original content (his Sidekick): the audience. 
 Yep. The fanfics I posted two weeks ago have 400 hits each. If I wrote a short story, who would read it? (Not that that's why most fans write fic! But...)


Below: Lynda Carter as Wonder Woman (1975-1979):

We have a lot more women heroes now but not a lot more pairs of women heroes. They tend to be on their own, I notice, not paired the way males are commonly partnered as brothers-in-arms, cops, or robbers (Butch Cassidy and the Sundance  Kid).

BELOW: My screen saver: Rey (Daisy Ridley) in the new Star Wars: The Force Awakens, photographed by Annie Leibovitz.

And--Lupita Nyong'o voices an animated character who looks nothing like her, but BELOW, another great photo from the same series by Leiovitz:

BELOW: The new Wonder Woman (Gal Gadot). (Best thing in the new superhero movie, not that that's saying much--it was pretty bad...)

Things I didn't know there were fanfic of (thanks, Mithen!):

Star Wars:Force Awakens fans are into Poe/Finn, but Poe did not invent lip biting
                                                         [Modern fans are quite... blunt.]

3 comments:

Zhoen said...

Hierarchy of Geeks,

http://brunching.com/images/geekchartbig.gif

And don't forget the MarySue,

http://www.themarysue.com



ArtSparker said...

Many of those of us who know (as some sort of acquaintance ONLY I SWEAR) some brooding artist in a garrett are very familiar with the use of popular images for audience share as a complait by the aforementioned. This is why you can find Benedict Cumberpatch profiles as Holmes, or Dr. Who Tardis(s) in infinite supply for sale online. It's also why so many films generate a long supply of sequels. These familiar characters and storylines give people a feeling of being in a protected communal space, which original artwork can't do, it's a more private experience.

Fresca said...

Thanks, Zhoen!

SPARKER: "a protected communal space"
That's a great way of putting it.

I remember when I was young and was astonished to learn a lot of great artists in history painted pictures of lemons and dead fish for MONEY.
My little pure heart was shocked.
Now I love those still lives.