Thursday, December 10, 2015

These Foolish Things

I was singing scraps of "These Foolish Things (Remind Me of You)" as I was sorting at the Thrift Store and was surprised another thrift herder didn't know it. I looked it up to send her the link and was surprised again at how many people have covered the song, written by British songwriters Eric Maschwitz and Jack Strachey in 1936.
Frank Sinatra, of course...
I like Dinah Washington's cover.
And, oh, man, I am very partial to Chet Baker's dusty trumpet.  

Here--you can try them all (list on youTube).

My favorite thrift is the bits and pieces that come in old sewing baskets, such as marking chalk and garter grips; worn thimbles and half-empty spools of thread; and sometimes even mysterious little trinkets. 
They remind me of someone I don't know.

I recently arranged my stash in little plastic boxes. 


5 comments:

The Crow said...

You are creating assemblage art, Fresca. You're a natural artist of uncommon sensibilities and talent.

One of my favorite assemblage artists is Joseph Cornell; there are others of more recent times.

Cool stuff!

Fresca said...

Oh, thanks, CROW!
Jospeh Cornell's stuff is crazy good---I'm so pleased that my little boxes should in any way call up associations with him.

Zhoen said...

Offerings to the Goddess Anoia, looks like. Especially if they get stuck in drawers.

http://wiki.lspace.org/mediawiki/Anoia

We keep our offerings to Her in the fireplace.

Julia said...

So glad you're getting photos of them--they're so beautiful and intriguing!

Fresca said...

ZHOEN: A-ha! Almost a goddess for Thrift Stores (except not, because people empty their drawers to give the stuff stuck inside to thrift stores, thus desecrating Anoia):

"Goddess of Things That Get Stuck in Drawers, a minor goddess on the Discworld. When someone rattles a drawer and cries "How can it close on the damned thing but not open with it? Who bought this? Do we ever use it?", even though the person might be genuinely irritated or even exasperated, it is as praise unto Anoia."

JULIA: YOU inspire me!!!