Thursday, November 5, 2015

Meanwhile, in Canada...


^ image by Ketami on deviantart

While Marz watches the X-Files and bink watches Walking Dead, wimpy me has been watching the charming Canadian TV series Due South (1994–1999)––a "police dramedy"–– starring Paul Gross as true-blue (-red?), hunky Mountie, Constable Benton Fraser (above), who was raised by his itinerant librarian grandparents in the Northwest Territories, but who comes to be stationed in Chicago, IL.

Lots of refreshingly silly humor about Canadian squareness and American violence, like this exchange below, when Fraser's detective partner Ray Vecchio is taking Fraser to see an apartment to rent in a bad part of Chicago:

Ray: Look, do me a favor and let's turn around, and I'll take you back to your hotel?  

Fraser: Well, we can't, I checked out. The windows wouldn't open. 

Ray: Fraser, this is Chicago. The only reason to open a window is to get a better aim.

2 comments:

Zhoen said...

Oh, I loved Due South. Now I want to watch it again.

Frex said...

I worked evenings all through the '90s and missed all the TV shows (just watched movies on VHS), so I'd never seen it, but I'm enjoying it a lot!
Got the dvds from the library.