Monday, January 26, 2015

Orange Dresses



Margaret Atwood at Cambridge, MA, 1963 ^ via "Margaret Atwood: Interview" 
I wonder what she's reading...

I must be in an orange mood, in these January days: I have nothing in particular to say about Atwood, it's just that her dress caught my eye.

I did think her Handmaid's Tale was all too frighteningly believable--if I were, say, to teach a political/philosophy literature class, I'd definitely include it. But I haven't read (or, rather, finished) much else by her.

A couple years ago, I took a photo of a young woman's tattoo of the famous quote from that book: 
Nolite te bastardes carbonrundorum, "Don't let the bastards grind you down." 
(Googling it, I see it's a popular tattoo.)

Here's a bit of M.A. on Science Fiction.

II. Marz's new Star Trek fanvid:
 "A tribute to Kirk's strange life.
Song: 'Sigourney Weaver' by John Grant"
________________________________
Despite Sigourney Weaver starring in the parody of Star Trek fandom, Galaxy Quest, one of my Top 10 favorite movies, I can't find anything that direct links her and Star Trek.

But she looks great in orange, eh? I found this photo ^ in an article from the time Wall-E came out--another all-too-believable futuristic story, about an Earth buried in trash. 

She voices a computer in the movie, which is another one of my favorites, and one of the only movies I own. 
So I was happy to read her say, "I have to say Wall-E is damn near close to a perfect movie. It's such a strong powerful context -- scary actually -- and yet within it, there's such a really endearing story and romance."

Don't let January grind you down, I say. Find your orange!

6 comments:

Clowncar said...

I loved the Handmaid's Tail, and it's also the only thing I've read by her. My only problem with Wall-e (which I also quite like, and have seen like 10 times) is that it loses its courage in the second half and turns into a standard gang-of-plucky robots plot. The nearly dialogue-less first act is perfect. And brave, for a kid's movie.

Michael Leddy said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Michael Leddy said...

Blogger on my iPad did something very odd just now, putting on some partial mistyped old comment of mine. What I thought I said:

Atwood’s a good poet too.

And: I’m sitting down with The Penelopiad soon.

poodletail said...

Find for me one person who doesn't look great in some shade of orange and I'll eat my hat. Wall-E remains on my "To Watch" list. I know it's heartwarming and endearing but I'm still avoiding things that will bring tears. Someday I'll throw that caution to the wind.

In the meantime: orange!

bink said...

Marz's video is pretty near seamless! Tell her nice job for me. :-)

Fresca said...

CLOWNCAR: It would be interesting to see a different Wall-E, one that stays nonverbal throughout...
But I'm a sucker for the gang-of-plucky-robots, never having recovered from Silent Running.

MICHAEL: Hm. I've been meaning to read more poetry--I'll look M.A.'s up.
Meanwhile, since I like post-apocalyptic lit, I've started her Year of the Flood (2009).
Will you give us a report on the Penelopiad when you're done?

POODLE: I bow to your knowledge of color and skin. Is it that all shades of red pick up on our red blood?

Hm... I'm not sure I'd say Wall-E is exactly "heartwarming"---it's a pretty devastating view of the future, but it is ultimately hopeful about the *resilience* of life, human and otherwise.

BINK: The vid is pretty great, I agree. I'll pass along your comment.