Tuesday, January 27, 2015

Cherry-coloured Twist


This is not cherry-coloured silk twist, ^ this is pink pearl cotton, which I got, of course, at the Thrift Store.
(Hi, Happify!)


But as I researched what in the heck pearl cotton is, I learned it is cotton thread soaked
in a chemical under pressure ("mercerized")  to make it swell round, the roundness adding luster because the light bounces off it:
thus mimicing silk!

And "twist" just refers to the number of turns required to hold the fibers together. 

I got all excited about this because I get a thrill when things connect up, and what this connects up with, in my mind, is
 Beatrix Potter's Tailor of Gloucester.
Have you read it? 

It's my favorite by her: 
A tailor releases some mice from under teacups where his cat has trapped them. When the tailor becomes temporarily too ill to work, the mice repay him by sewing the last remaining details on the mayor's wedding waistcoat that will change the fortune of the poor tailor:
"one-and-twenty button-holes of cherry-coloured twist!"
And... "For the lining of the coat there was fine yellow taffeta"!

The Tailor of Gloucester by Beatrix Potter, 1903 --links to full illustrated book on Project Gutenberg

6 comments:

Julia said...

Hi back, Fresca! I'm so glad to see you sharing pretties--I love the patterns that thread makes criss-crossing as it winds around! And not familiar with "one-and-twenty button-holes of cherry-coloured twist!" but it has quite a satisfying rhythm to say to oneself even without knowing the story behind it.

Bookworm said...

One of my favourite Beatrix Potter stories too. I love all the beautiful pictures of Gloucester in the snow and the picture near the end with the tiny note saying "no more twist".

ArtSparker said...

I agree, and I want that waistcoat.

Fresca said...

JULIA: Yes, I like to say that phrase "one-and-twenty button-holes of cherry-coloured twist!" too--it sounds almost like Dr. Seuss.

BOOKWORM: I'm glad you like that story too---it's nowhere near as well known (at least here in the USA) as her rabbit books.

SPARKY: Definitely, you should have that waistcoat!!!

poodletail said...

Oh, my heart. "one-and-twenty button-holes of cherry-coloured twist!" How I would love to be in a book club where we read aloud Beatrix Potter's stories! (My niece, Petunia, would surely agree.)

Fresca said...

POODLE: I must find a paper copy of that book to read aloud at my birthday party.
Maybe I'll work on stitching 120 button holes!